Betta Addicted Now - Rescue Betta Help Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsrn2016

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Remember when I said I went to get some supplies in my other thread about "filter questions"? I appear to have fallen in love with these beautiful Betta fish! My daughter and I spotted a very sick betta - a lovely peach colored one marked "butterfly male". He was swimming sort of lopsided but not fully sideways and not exactly bent but sort of swim bladder disease looking. He also had black curls to the ends of his fins. My daughter spotted a dead betta in what she was even able to mention was a jar of its feces. We started to investigate and noticed at least 75% of the bettas were very ill. I decided to make a humanitarian (fishitarian?) effort and rescue one. I grabbed the peach male. I almost grabbed two but realised I didn't have the resources for that in all honesty. We could have taken on many fish there that were clearly sicker - and I do feel bad we didn't, but I figured this guy actually had a chance. I hate to say it that way, but many looked hopeless. Anyway, I had Betta Revive at home already because I bought it to have on hand.

I bought a cheap one gallon tank and my daughter insisted on a decoration - a tunnel head thing for him to feel safe hiding in. I also had a spare leaf hammock one of the other bettas at home didn't like. I set up shop with conditioned water and he perked right up in his new tank!!! However, he clearly is swollen/bent a little and the fin rot!!!

My question is, should I treat him with the Revive tonight or let him chill for a while in his nice clean tank. I know I should fast him, but I wanted to see how healthy he was so I fed him a freeze dried Daphnia. Do you think he looks sick enough for medication at all?

Attachments

• IMG_4877.jpg
    IMG_4877.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4879.jpg
    IMG_4879.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4880.jpg
    IMG_4880.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 80
I would go ahead and treat him, but letting him acclimate to his surroundings is also a good idea. There are lots of betta people here that know a lot more than I do so I'm going to hand it to them from here. Good job rescuing him, wish I could just go out like that and come home with more fish :)

Water quality will go a long way towards helping this guy - hold off on the treatment for now and just keep his water really good with plenty of partial water changes (of conditioned water similar temp) - have 10 bettas and learned that patience and top quality water is the best unless things are going further in the wrong direction.

Congrats - a nice fish!

Back
Top Bottom