Betta advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

musicmarn1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, i got my new betta in today from aqua bid - all i cared about when i got the box, was getting him out alive and into carefully prepared water before moving him to his 10g tank.

i read for a couple of hours before posting to try and find the answers but not finding what i need so if there is anyone who can give me advice please help!

at first i thought it was the wrong fish because here is the picture i won the bid on, a male hm copper (green) betta but here is the now picture - though cameras seem to not pull out the color i see - its pale and actually strikingly beautiful, but darker in places and lighter in places, looks more bronze or bluish steel :fish2:

is he sick from the transport? i did read they can bleach out from ammonia but cannot find what to do for him other than his new tank which i started from cycled media when i first bid on him. His fin looks like it took a hit in transit he has distinct white tips to each side (what made me realize it was the right fish!) but one side is a little snarled and the white tips are missing on that side but its clear it was there. he is alone right now is this something i should treat. :huh:

Someone (ANGELS people who respond to others who are scared for their fish!) posted about using garlic, frozen food for quality - i have frozen bloodworms and a varied diet, super clean water.

So do i turn off the filter because of the current, he seems to love going round and round the tank (he was raised in a bag) even though he seems like a poor swimmer, he is exploring and looking at everything but im worried it might hurt him and i cannot lower the current i tired a bunch of things. one side of the tank seems still ish though but he isnt staying put. :fish1:

So any advice to really perk him up? im totally smitten and massively want to get him to top health and add in some peaceful friends for him. Never had a metallic betta before and he is amazing, the picture doesnt caputure the different colors and he looks far lighter to my eyes so it could just be ammonia poisoning (JUST>?!?! dont the transporters change the bag? didnt look like it) i paid for over night shipping but took 4 days to get him from the airport to here sigh :( just would love some help making him feel better ! :fish2:

Attachments

• mycoppermalehmbetta2.jpg
    mycoppermalehmbetta2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 58
  • CIMG1554.jpg
    CIMG1554.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 70
Clean water will be the best thing for him. It's not unusual for fish to pale a little when they are stressed out, and 4 days in a box traveling the world is nothing short of stressful. Give him a little time to adjust and I'm sure he will color up beautifully. Keep his water pristine and feed him good foods and he should be in great shape soon. Also, beware of Melafix as a remedy for the fin damage. It can damage his delicate labyrinth organs, and if you do choose to use it use about 1/5 of the recommended dosage. You can buy a less concentrated version called bettafix though, which is the same thing just at a dosage that is more appropriate for labyrinth fish.

Also, don't forget that breeders usually take their pictures with professional lights and equipment to really bring out the colors in the fish. He won't necessarily look identical to his picture under different lighting conditions. Digital photos don't always stay true to life in terms of color as well, due to differences in rendering color on different monitors. Either way, he is absolutely gorgeous!

If it's a HOB filter that has the outflow pouring into the tank, you can try rubber banding some aquarium filter sponge around the outflow to slow it down.

Or get a new knee high hose and pull it over the outflow - the elastic band at the top can function like a rubber band.

Take a deep breath - he just had a real long trip in a plastic bag,and he's in a new environment. If he's already exploring, that's a real good sign.

You already know about watching your water chemistry and you're on top of it. Tomorrow morning, thaw out 2 or 3 frozen bloodworms in some tank water and see if you can make him your instant best buddy.

Really thanks so much, its a HUGE help to get these responses, i read as many as i can, they always help.

He is actually perking up a little, he was struggling to swim at first and i could see him getting stuck in the plants and wrapped around the filter or heater...ugh

really was glad to hear what i can do for the filter - brilliant. I WISH i could share with you his real looks - or what to the human eye you see, he has me mesmerized i don't care that he is not the same color - i just was shocked at first, now i see how intricate his coloring is and i just care about him being healthy.

He seems to have a funny personality already he just wont stay away from the filter though but his best friend in the world is his big plant - he seems fascinated with it, so he is not SCARING the bejazus out of me like he did at first, your totally right he was in shock and that bag was smaller than my hand so yeah.......

so ill do a 50% water change tomorrow and keep him pristine. Can't wait to try a couple of bloodworms and see if he loves it :)

Back
Top Bottom