Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Betta fin damage

I feel so bad, I had ember tetras and they’ve been nipping my betta fins. I’ve had them for 8 months and they were babies when I got them, so I think the nipping started more recently or at least got worse. For awhile I could tell his fins were damaged and removed driftwood, coconut cave, ext. then I saw them nipping at him! 3-4 would do it often, so it definitely got worse. So I brought the embers back to the pet store to find a new home. I just noticed that one of his fins are also basically to the bone and this is new. I bought Indian almond leaves and Capprita bark to release tannins and the medicinal properties, I put it in two days ago and I haven’t seen any tannins in the water yet. I also have snails so I don’t want to change thing to quickly but I want the betta to heal before it gets infected or worse. I boiled two of the leaves and added that to freshwater but no tannins released. He’s in a 10 gallon tank by himself with snails now. Now that the problem is removed, when should improvements be seen? This is a lesson that I’ll never have another fish with a betta, embers are supposed to NOT be fin nippers and I didn’t see it happen for a long long time but poor guy was being tortured by then.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Betta fin damage

Iím not too familiar with the use of catappa leaves, but Iím pretty sure boiling them before adding them to your tank is going to release those beneficial tannins youíre looking for.
Another possibility could be if youíre running carbon in your filter?
Things like this are why I feel like itís always best to play it safe and not put Betta fish in communities.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a sponge filter, should I turn it off?

Tags
age, betta, damage, fin, fin damage

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com