Betta Fin Damage and Odd Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BarleyBear

Aquarium Advice Activist
My betta arrived from Thailand today. He was alive, but he is damaged. A big chunck of his tail is missing, looks cut off, and it looked red or bleeding at the base of the injury. Also, there was big hole/rip in his dorsal fin. I'll post the pics I sent the transhipper and the seller. Is there anything I can do for him? I feel so bad for him.

For the cost, stress in shipping, and obvious risk, I probably would never order from a Thai seller again. I haven't gotten a response, yet, but I will let you know that they say. However, there isn't really much they can do for the betta, obviously. I'm not worried about the money, just sad that he was hurt in the shipping process--not really their fault, I guess. He was packaged well.

I've heard that bettas sometimes bite their fins when they are stressed, and I'm guessing that's what must have happened to his tail. I imagine he was jostled around a bunch during the shipping process, too.

Good news, he hasn't had any problem at all finding the hole at the top of my Fluval Edge to breathe air. But he seems quite stressed out! After being in the dark and shipped from another country and bumped around and now in a larger tank than he's ever seen with plants he's never seen and other fish he's never seen, I can't imagine he's not in shock! Hopefully, he will calm down and be okay.

When I first put him in (after floating him to adjust to the temperature, of course), he took a gulp of air and then just free-floated till he landed on a leaf and was covered up by his fins. I thought he'd just died! After a few seconds, he started swimming again, went back up to get some air, and did the free-fall thing again, becoming listless. He did this several times. I don't know if he was adjusting to the water, clearing out his air, or what. Finally, he stopped doing this and found a spot behind the heater to hang out. Now, he's hiding beneath some plants and seems to be doing fine, if a bit shy or scared. I'll try to post some pics of him swimming in the tank after he gets over his shyness.

Any advice/help for his damaged fins? I've heard they will heal and grow back slowly. I just don't want him to get an infection. Also, any ideas about his initial odd behavior?

The first two pics show the damaged tail and fin. The third one is the sale pic (before shipping).

Pic 2.jpg

Sale Pic.jpeg

Pic 1.jpg

The pictures posted out of order. The top and bottom show the fin and tail damage. The middle one is what he's supposed to look like.

did a quick search and people recommend a little aloe vera to help the fins grow back, and just keep the water as clean as possible

use the search function on the site, there are plenty of threads about damaged fins

good luck and hope you betta recovers quickly

Back
Top Bottom