Betta Fin Damage. Did I do the right thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettasrcool

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently got a new betta and then today, I got a fake bonsai tree for it:
100_5578.jpg
Yesterday, its tail fin was like a cup at the tip:
100_5533.jpg
But after like 2 hours today with the tree, it was frayed:
100_5580.jpg
I used some fin rot/penicillen medicine on it in case of infection. Was this right? And will its tail "fuse" back together?
Thanks!

One of my plants(fake) had sharp edges I guess and it was the only plant the betta actually hung out in and his fins were slit, I removed the plant and there has been no new damage however mines tail looks similar but mines tips are white from new growth.

I dont think its fin rot fin rot usually has actual dead cells still attached that are void of the bettas color, most the time it looks like a nasty piece of lettuce.

The curling is because his tank was too small, itll never go away, kinda like you wearing shoes that are too small, it deforms your toes, in his case fins.

Fish Fin & Tail Rot | Healthy Betta

Fin Rot Information and Symptoms @ petfish.net

Medicine is always a last resort, if you think its ROT, use the FW salt and clean the tank.

OK thanks, I was just using the medicine to maybe prevent infections, not saying that I thought it was fin rot. You can see that the fins under it has white tips, is that fin rot though?

not if its just pure fin, if its cottony looking then yes its an infection, white fins that are just fin is re-growth, its a good thing.

It can be cured without medications though, try the non medicated way but if it gets worse start the medication and heat.

The fins will look like a wilted piece of lettuce especailly the edges of that lettuce, just a comparison im sure youve seen wilted lettuce before.

I am going live, I gotta get some yeast and ALUM in the morning for my Co2 system then I can plant.

Yea, its heated it is about 78-80 degrees, and its not cottony so I think it is Ok, ill keep an eye on it. Thanks everyone!

well i gotta make a thread now, itll be up in a few once it uploads

all this fin talk I started looking at pics, my betta looked like yours when I got it.

Now its about 1" shorter everywhere, they dont look like rot though.

He is up against the intake right now( every better ive had does this with a filter and all are healthy,cept this one it seems,) so I got a decent pic of his fins, he rarely flares at all.

Back
Top Bottom