Betta - Fin Loss? Fin Rot? Or Fin Nipping? Or is it something else!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have an airpump?

I'm asking because if you already have one, there are some less expensive alternatives that are better than nothing.

You might need additional treatments to heal the fins. The bad water (lack of filter) was the cause but I don't know if it'll go away now without treatment. Others can confirm for bettas, but with most fish treating with melafix / pimafix (both) would help. But the cause needs to be fixed for it not to just come right back.

I personally would have you do a cycle with the fish in the tank doing regular water changes. Others prefer to not do cycling with fish, but I personally believe the fish will be better off in a 10 gallon container getting regular water changes than smaller ones. Sorry to add more confusion by stating that...

For a 10 gallon you only need a quite cheap filter:
PETCO Power Filters at PETCO

Don't get me wrong, there are MUCH better filters, but if you are strapped for money anything is better than what you have now. :)

If it was my tank, I would get two of the little internal Whisper filters (I have 3 of them), keep the bettas in the 10 gallon, and change part of the water every day.

Yup, me too. 10 gallons can help dilute the ammonia between water changes a lot more than in a small container...

Water won't work but substrate (gravel) from a cycled tank will kickstart a cycle. If you can get a filter, if you can find filter media from a tank that is already cycled, it will either greatly speed up or even instantly cycle your tank.

As you've had fish in the tank already, the filter will probably start cycling right away. If you can't get pure ammonia, you can use dead shrimp to create ammonia.

Clean, cycled water will cure many, many problems with fungus, fin rot and prevents them from occuring in the first place.

I definately can feel your pain dude. Check craigs list, garage sales, 2nd hand stores, where you can for a filter if you have to. Make sure it comes with filter media.

Do you have an airpump?

Ok I will go and buy a filter. Get some gravel from an established tank. Than I will begin cycling.

So I should keep them in the ten gallon tank. Change the water everyday. Add extra food (a source of ammonia) Get the filter and possibly add some of that stress zyme. How long does it take to cycle all the way?

I wouldn't add any extra food, it would make the cycle quicker but could hurt the fish more. Cycling with fish may take longer than when being done fishless because you are removing the bacteria food (ammonia) for the sake of the fish. I would still do the regular water changes during the cycle, just for the sake of the fish. :)

OK, so do I still need gravel from an established tank? What if there is an ick problem? Can I treat the gravel with Malachite green or something first?

The malachite will kill the bacteria. I would see if you can find any friends, or put an ad on CL asking for established healthy media, I would not get any from the pet store.
I will probably take 4-6 weeks to cycle the tank with the bettas, faster if you have the media.

Looking at your pics, Apollo is already getting some new fin growth. The whiter spot on his tail fin is most likely new.

Oh so if I have media its just faster? Ok, than if I can't find anyone it will still be ok?

Glad he's better. :)

If you can't find anyone, you can just change part of the water every day or every other day for a month. If you get the used media, it already has colonies of the good bacteria, so yes, it would speed up the cycle.

Just my opinion and experience:

I still think cycling with fish that are unhealthy to begin with is more dangerous for a betta's health than keeping them very clean in smaller bowls with a huge water change daily.

They too can only take so much, especially if they have other problems.

But they are going to have the same water issues in a small bowl as they are with a bigger tank, but in the bigger tank the ammonia will be more dilluted.

Its easier and less stressful to do a close to 100% change in a smaller container than a 10 gal.

I've done it several times for a very long periods of time when a problem cropped up in a tank.

We all just want whats best for the poor fish. :)

Whatever method is used, massive, daily water changes will be very, very important.

My friend has a tank that has been running for a long time - but it is Sunnies and Crappies... So I don't know if that would be ok or not...

My friend has a tank that has been running for a long time - but it is Sunnies and Crappies... So I don't know if that would be ok or not...

It will be fine. Just get some of the media, put it in something, I use a piece of pantyhose, put the media in it, tie it closed and you can either place it in the filter or in a corner of the tank.

By media we mean some gravel from his tank? Or water squeezed from his filter?

Gravel. Water alone won't work, even from the filter.

If you can get some of the media inside his filter, like carbon, filter floss or whatever is in there, its even better.

OK, so like ask for gravel and make sure it stays wet, Ohhhh and than some of his carbon and whatever is in there... I get you now.

Back
Top Bottom