betta fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
i cant get to a petstore until probably this weekend (cant drive myself, 15) and my betta has a severe case of fin rot, are there any home remedies that can help? like putting salt in and stuff?

right after i posted this i look over at him and his fins are growing back!!! he hasnt eaten since i got him and that was over 2 weeks ago!!! why wont he eat?

I wish that I could help.
My Betta eats anything, flake, freeze dried brine shrimp, freeze dried blood worms, he even nibbles on the algae tabs I drop in for the pleco.
Fin rot scares me but I have no issues or experience with that.
I hope someone much more helpful than me comes along.
Good luck with him.
^hugs^

What are your water parameters? Clean, healthy water is the best way to help a sick fish.

You can safely use aquarium salt for about ten days with bettas. It causes kidney problems if you use it long term.

What are you feeding the betta? Sometimes you have to try different foods until you find one that the fish will eat. After you know he's eating, you can mix in other foods to train him to eat different things.

ive tried betta food, flake food, i am about to try sinking shrimp pellets!

Don't feed flakes or freeze dried anything to your betta, it causes bloating. Try soaking his pellets in garlic. And start soaking the pellets in a cup of tank water before you feed him every time. Remember bettas bellies are only as big as their eyes. ;)
Like Jim said, clean water is the best medicine, so before you try salt, try just changing out about 25% of his water every day and see what happens. :) I hate using meds on my bettas, and the only thing I will use is Stress-Coat with aloe.

Fin rot is cause by poor water.
Full water change with some salt will fix him up in no time.o
Try feeding him live food like blackworm or hatch grow bbs. If he doesn't react to live food. Something is wrong with him. Keep a close eye on him.

One of my betta will only eat live blackworm.

Soaking pellets in garlic can work. I'd try blackworms or brine shrimp. My fish love frozen brine shrimp.

More expensive than what?

Frozen brine shrimp is more expensive than flakes, but it's cheaper than live blackworms. There's a myriad of different foods to try.

Back
Top Bottom