Betta Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redd

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I have a white moon and a red veil tail with freyed fins separated by partitions in a 10gal tank. I'm not sure what steps I should take as to remedy this issue aside from the pwc(2-4gal) that I do weekly. The tank is heated to 82degrees, has a filter, 3 other bettas and 2 snails which are doing fine, and the water parameters are all good. The ph is 6.4-6.8 and I'm not sure if maybe the acidity is a problem. Altho I now know its too crowded, I do my best to see that they are tended to correctly, anybody has any sugesstions?

ForumRunner_20111226_152838.jpg

Three other questions,
*I bought this ph balancer months ago and I'm wondering if I should use this to increase my ph to 7.0
*Should I do a larger water change each week(instead of the 10-30%, do 50-75%)?
*Do I need to medicate the tank with something like Metafix?

Redd said:
Ok I have a white moon and a red veil tail with freyed fins separated by partitions in a 10gal tank. I'm not sure what steps I should take as to remedy this issue aside from the pwc(2-4gal) that I do weekly. The tank is heated to 82degrees, has a filter, 3 other bettas and 2 snails which are doing fine, and the water parameters are all good. The ph is 6.4-6.8 and I'm not sure if maybe the acidity is a problem. Altho I now know its too crowded, I do my best to see that they are tended to correctly, anybody has any sugesstions?

Three other questions,
*I bought this ph balancer months ago and I'm wondering if I should use this to increase my ph to 7.0
*Should I do a larger water change each week(instead of the 10-30%, do 50-75%)?
*Do I need to medicate the tank with something like Metafix?

What are your nitrate readings? High nitrate will stress and bring on fin rot. I would be doing a 50% PWC twice a week normally on an over stocked tank like that. To remedy the fin rot now do a 50% PWC every day. You can add some aquarium salt to the tank. 1 tablespoon per 5 gal of water, dissolve into a cup of tank water and add slowly over a day. Replace what is being removed by PWC. Eg: 2 tablespoons in tank. 50% PWC takes out half salt - 1 tablespoon. Add 1 tablespoon back in with new water.

Do not use the pH altering chemicals. Your pH is fine and won't cause the fin rot. The chemicals can do more harm than good. I would try the PWC and salt treatment first. If you choose to use the melifix use a 1/5 dose. Bettas can't handle a full dose.

Thanks for the info, I'll do a 50% wc tomorrow. Another thing, while doing that, should I take the fish out to reduce to amount of stress on them?

Redd said:
Thanks for the info, I'll do a 50% wc tomorrow. Another thing, while doing that, should I take the fish out to reduce to amount of stress on them?

No need to take them out. They still have 50% of their water. Removing them would cause more stress IMO. Try not to knock them about when adding the water back in. Bettas aren't the strongest of swimmers and they may get injured.

I did a 30% wc yesterday and my readings were:
ph 6.4-6.8
Hardness (GH) 50 ppm
Total Hardness(KH) 80 ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Ammonia 0 ppm

Gonna change it tomorrow

Ok good. How long should I do the 50%wc for, and how long does it take to see new fin growth? Thanks a million

Redd said:
Ok good. How long should I do the 50%wc for, and how long does it take to see new fin growth? Thanks a million

It all depends how bad it is, if the fish has a strong enough immune system to fight it off, how much clean water is available, stress, etc. I'd keep the 50% daily for at least a week and see how they go. You may have to continue daily water changes (or at least every second day) for quite a while. If they continue to deteriorate after a week we may have to look into medications and a larger tank. It may be reoccurring/an ongoing battle in the small tank.

I just cleaned it and all my water levels are fine. I just brought a used 33gal from the pet store, but I can't even tell you when I'll get the chance to establish it. I don't have a clue on where to put it and what to store it on.

Lossing my red veil tail, scales are looking duller & duller, but still tryin to save the rest. I'm gonna do another 50% wc later.

Redd said:
Lossing my red veil tail, scales are looking duller & duller, but still tryin to save the rest. I'm gonna do another 50% wc later.

I'm sorry he's not doing well. The sooner you can get them in the divided 33g the better. They will enjoy the swimming space and will stress less.

Back
Top Bottom