Betta fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rianyu

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I don't have a camera right now, my phone is broken...but there is no doubt in my mind my little guy has fin rot.

I've been doing water changes weekly and the parameters look fine. Regardless, I put him in a 1gal qt tank so it's easier for me to treat.

I've been doing 1tsp of salt in the tank with a full water change every day for a week now but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Actually, it seems to be getting worse.

I'm pretty stumped. Should I increase the salt dosage or should I start medication? I have some furan 2 on hand but I'd like a second or third opinion before I start any medication...

I'd suggest starting medication. Being a huge Betta person, I've always used melafix for fin rot and I've lived by it for 2 years but others use your medicine too. Whatever you think is best for your little guy but I definitely think that medication is the best next step. Hope all goes well!!

46g Red tailed shark tank
10g Betta and Ember Tetras
10g Betta breeding tank
5g Female Betta Sorority
5g Male Breeder Betta
5g Crayfish

Thanks guys. I've done about 1.5 weeks with furan 2 and I'm seeing regrowth! It's really slow and his top fin is still looking tattered. Question now is, do I keep treating with furan 2? The packet says to treat for a week and one more if needed but I'm not sure if that means if I can stop now or not.

Back
Top Bottom