Betta fin rot continued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All, the last time I posted I got some really good advice about my betta’s fin rot. In the meantime I have also bough a medicine from Waterlife (I cant remember the name but you basically treat on day 1,2, 3, and 6) and his fins started evening out and looking much better with no new signs of fin rot for at least 2 weeks. We have since moved and just 2 days ago I noticed new damage to his fins. His tail fin looks so ragged again.
He still eats well and no behavioural changes. Very active. Doesn’t seem to like it when I switch the light on.
someone mentioned last time that when they get older and they start getting it, it is likely to keep coming back.
Am I fighting a losing battle to try and cure his fin rot? I have tried rooibos tea, tetra general tonic and this new Waterlife product. I have salt but haven’t tried that yet.
How much should I add to a 30L tank? And if the meds didn’t work, will this help?
Water parameters are normal. Nitrites and ammonia at 0. Temp constant at around 26 degrees.
I just don’t know how he can look so perfect in a small bowl in the petshop and then when I put him in his own 30L palace J with filter, heater and all, he gets sick.
As always, any advice will be really helpful.

PS I do a 50% water change and vacuum gravel once a week. 1 piece of driftwood,one java plant, 3 rocks which make an enclave, and a hamster decoration which he likes to hide in sometimes. This is plastic. Could it be contributing to his problems? I feed him 3pellets soaked in garlic juice per day and bloodworms on a Saturday.

Bloodworms are the culprits

I just realised that the fin rot first started showing signs only 2 days after I gave him bloodworms. I think this is the cause of it, and why he hasn't been able to get better because I feed it to him once a week. Stopping that immediately and started with salt treatments last night. Hopefully he will soon return to his former glory!
I bought the frozen type at my LFS but no way of knowing if they were poor quality. Will keep all updated

BTW/FYI Some humans are super allergic to bloodworms. I read of a woman who went into anaphylaxis from submerging her hand in a tank that the fish had been fed bloodworms.

Just giving u a heads up b/c I bought freeze dried and wouldn't have purchased the expensive bloodworms had I known.

Idk if fish can have allergies, but I think it's very possible and maybe you figured out the problem.

Is it brownish or whiteshish? anyways i would reccoend and antibiotic at this point, tho fungus will rot fins as well.
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention
There is more to water parameters that amonia/nitrate. Betas love soft, acidic water. Here in the midwest and mid south there is alot of limestone in our underwater wells, you ph is probably way to high and hardness as well. Betas do best at 6.0 soft water.
If it is brown, then its bacterial tail rot and needs an antibiotic such as maracyn 2, kanamycin, Triple sulfa or Oxytetracytline
If its white rot then its fungal and he just needs clean water and maybe a little primafix or malachite green or methylene blue for a few days. If your not sure and your looking for a all in one cure you might try Furan green. You can get that stuff and wallmart or any petsore, its antibiotic/anti microbial, means it mildly helps with bacteria/fungus. Dont get that stuff or the malachite on your hands tho.

Back
Top Bottom