Betta fin rot, or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nocturn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a betta going on 2 years old I think. Anyways after looking through my book I figured he might have fin rot. His fins are all still there and full length, but they are just look all smushed and clumped together. Not fanned or extravagent like I'v seen on other people's bettas. It's looks kinda like his fins are depressed. Anyways I was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this that wouldn't hurt my snails.

Sounds like he's either stressed or fin rot. First thing to do is check your water parameters and see if theres any ammonia or nitrites. A water change would be a good thing to.

Let us know what happens after that.

Hi...my betta did have fin rot (fins and tail were tattered looking) and I used BettaMax sucessfully on him. He also held his fins very close to his body in a big lump. What helped my betta with this condition was to add a heater. I moved him from a bowl to a 5.5 gallon tank with a 25-watt heater. It wasn't expensive; the tank was $10 and the heater was $15 (I paid $20 but I've seen it cheaper after I bought it). Bettas like temperatures of 80 or 82 degrees. The snails could also live in the heated tank. I was unable to control the temperature fluctuation in the bowl, so now he is happy in the nice warm tank. Fluctuating temps lead to stress, which can lead to the fin rot. If he's been happy in his bowl/tank for 2 years though, then I might suspect high ammonia (which can also cause stress/fin rot) like Allivymar said.

Well I just recenetly moved him out of a vace, and am lacking a heater, been using the lights to keep up warm enough since its such a small tank. Would BettaMax hurt my snails? I'm gunna look into a heater today.

Your betta will love you for getting a heater! It made such a difference in the way my betta looked and felt.

In the bowl, I also used lights to keep him warm during the day. But once the lights were off at night, the temp. dropped rapidly. Bettas, like most creatures, need a cycle of day and night, so you should turn off the lights at night. But I realized this constant day/night temp. fluctuations were very bad for the betta. The heater will work whether the lights are on or not!

What size is your tank? I would be cautious about putting the 25-watt heater in anything smaller than a 5 gallon tank. I have seen smaller heaters at Wal-Mart, but don't know how safe they are. I've never seen anything smaller than a 25-watt at the pet shops.

I think BettaMax would be ok for the snails. The label says "safe for the community tank". Get a paper cup of tank water, open the capsule, empty the powder into the cup of tank water, let it dissolve (stir with a plastic spoon if necessary), and then pour it in the tank. Be careful -- the powder may stain your counter tops or other surfaces (and your fingers!) The green water doesn't seem to stain anything, though. Just wipe it up quickly if it spills.

It's a 5 gallon, so I would most likely just get a 25 watt heater. It's a hexagonal tank so any ideas on where it should be placed.

It can go on the back wall or one of the back side walls. The heat will be evenly carried around the tank. The heated water will create a heat current of its own and disperse around the tank. It's not like a big current from a filter. My water doesn't even move. Hmmm....maybe someone can explain better?

So what besides that can I use to make his fins appear better that wont hurt anything else in my tank?

Did you check your ammonia/nitrite levels? You never posted the results. If thats the issue, all you need is a water change, which won't affect anything else.

Back
Top Bottom