Betta fin rot or parasite, maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Although he seems to be perfectly healthy (he eats regularly and has no trouble swimming), I've noticed one or two little white bumps on one side of my betta, Filbert's, tail.

To me, it doesn't look like ich but similar to how bent, stressed plastic can look. They don't seem to be getting bigger or spreading, but because I have so little experience with fish in general (I purchased Filbert on Aug 3rd), I'm not sure if it's a parasite, fin rot, or something else entirely.

If it's nothing to be worried about, thanks for reassuring a new fish owner c:

Other details: lives in a 2.5 gallon with some wisteria plants and eats once a day, 75-80% water changes every 6 days to a week

Attachments

• 20150829_172929.jpg
    20150829_172929.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20150829_173006.jpg
    20150829_173006.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20150829_173304.jpg
    20150829_173304.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 76
Well, it turns out that those funny little marks I spotted turned into (mild?) fin rot. It's mainly on his tail, and is only noticeable at certain angles and when he flares.

What should I do? Yesterday I changed 90% of the water and added one teaspoon of aquarium salt to his 2 gallon tank. I plan on doing the same tomorrow. Anything else I should do or just maintain clean water/salt? I also add a bit of stress guard after a water change, so hopefully that should help his fins repair too.

Salt is the first step .
That and the waterchanges may help. If not you may need kanamycin and furan to cure fin rot AKA columnaris.
Good luck and hope recovers.

I just use clean water with frequent changes and Indian Almond leaves. Just what I do with my bettas but it clears up and the fins grow back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just use clean water with frequent changes and Indian Almond leaves. Just what I do with my bettas but it clears up and the fins grow back

What is an almond leaf suppose to do? Where do I get one and do I just put it in the water for good?

Ok. I have to give a little spiel first. There is no scientific evidence for what I am about to say. The indian almond leaf or cattapa or ketapang leaves supposedly have anti bacterial properties. The bettas like the tannins. They make your water golden colored. They also lower ph and I'm not technical so I won't go into how that works. I don't let mine degrade in the tank. I take them out after about 2 or 3 weeks. Leaves come in different sizes and grades. I get mine from an eBay seller in Asia and have for years. You want grade A large and then you break pieces off the leaves. Or if you have like a 10 or 20g then you add a whole leaf. Aquabid is another source. Look under the breeding or medication catagory especially under dry goods. Can't remember which. I've attached a pic. Like I said though there is no study to back anything up so could be hoodoo but it's just another option and the way I do things.

Attachments

• 1441558636524.jpg
    1441558636524.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 58
Thankyou Brenna. I will definitely look into getting some. I like the brownish water look in a planted tank, and my ph here is like 8.4 out of the tap.

Back
Top Bottom