Betta Fin Rot- URGENT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuietPlotter

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I'm really desperate right now, need all the help I can get.

I got my Betta, Oggie, in early November. He is in a 2.5 Mini Bow ALMOST fully cycled (ammo-1 nitrite-.5 nitrate-5), I change the water either every 4 days or every Saturday... But usually whenever I get a chance to. (1-2 times/week)

He lives in an unheated tank, but room temp in my house is 78, so I figure 76° in the tank is borderline fine. I would get a heater but have horrible experiences with them, and can't find a spot to put it in.

On Saturday, I noticed what appeared to be fin rot... Something I was sure he didn't have in the morning. I have dealt with more than 10 cases of fin rot in bettas, and only two were unsuccesful. I went out and bought a bottle of BettaFix on Sunday after doing a 40% pwc on Saturday.

I added 5ml of BettaFix. In the morning, he looked much better. The splits were gone and the fin was growing back.

I come home from school today, and I see that his tail is basically like that of a crowntail betta. His other fins are absolutely fine. His tail is brightly colored and not dull, and there are no black edges. He is active and eating.

I am just lost. There is no sharp decor in the tank and even if there was, I'd find the piece of his tail. The filter is on the lowest flow setting (red sea nano) and the intake is stuck in a plant, he cannot get anywhere near it.

So I'm totally confused. Keep doing BettaFix or ditch it for water changes?

I would post pics but my phone is not uploading.

Thanks and please help,

QP

Hi Quiet! You really need to start doing more frequent wcs!! 1ppm ammonia & .5ppm nitrites is high enough to permanently injure or kill your fish. Getting this under control should be your first priority even if it means doing wcs daily until your tank is fully cycled. I believe this is the primary cause of your bettas finrot. Healthy water may be enough to heal him if its not severe but i dont know how bad it is without a pic so you will have to be the judge here. Severe cases need to be addressed with antibiotics.

Reactions: HN1
There Jessica, what a miracle, it worked! Doing PWC while I write this.

Attachments

• image-2012215174.jpg
    image-2012215174.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 83
Thanks, Quiet!! If it were my fish, i would treat him but this will be up to you. Sometimes healthy water alone is enough to cure rin rot so i would try wcs everday for a couple of days & see if he improves at all. If he doesnt, minocycline (maracyn 2) alone or a combo of mino & erythromycin(maracyn) for a full course of treatment along with lots of healthy water. If you do treat, do wcs around the same time every day & dose meds after wcs. Make sure you remove any carbon if you have it in your filter. Hope this helps! jessica

I'm doing Bettafix, I think it will be ok... Only time I can get more meds is Friday. Thanks Nova! I'm thinking of getting a Half Moon Plakat Betta for another tank.

No problem, Quiet! Stay on top of his wcs over the next few days (and the upcoming wks ahead) with the bettafix & lets see if this enough to help recover on his own! :)

Here is an update. What is that lump by his tail? He has had it since I got him.

Attachments

• image-622686714.jpg
    image-622686714.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 69
I agree with jlk. Daily water changes from now on until he's healed and the tank is cycled. Add a little bit of aquarium salt to his bowl (1/2 tablespoon). Dissolve it into a little bit of tank water and add slowly over the course of a day. When you do a water change of 50% you will need to add 1/4 of a tablespoon back in to replace what has been removed.

Back
Top Bottom