Betta Fin Rot WILL NOT GO AWAY!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do believe that he does still have the rot. I haven't seen any re-growth. He is just slowly getting worse.

If it was me, I'd separate him and start treatment right away to get it under control. It won't stop on it's own, it will just keep eating at him.

Ya thats kinda what I thought - but than i was told about maybe doing water changes super frequently...

I was siding with picking up some Maracyn II. What do you think is the best option to treat him with?

Nothing wrong with doing the water changes. That is done to eliminate the conditions that created this situation in the first place.

But nothing else seems to be working for you. Maracyn II is what is used for gram-negative bacterial infections and is what I've used in the past.

Not at all. He is being medicated in a hospital tank now, with Maracyn II. I am going to do water changes too - On the other tank. I am also going to was all of his decor and see if that helps. SO Maracym II is a 5 day treatment right?

Not at all. He is being medicated in a hospital tank now, with Maracyn II. I am going to do water changes too - On the other tank. I am also going to was all of his decor and see if that helps. SO Maracym II is a 5 day treatment right?

I believe so, but it has been a while since I've used it, so I don't remember the exact dosing. Follow the directions on the package and you should be OK.

Yup I have been. Its says 5 Days but I don't know if that includes the first day you dose it....

How do I tell when the rot it gone? Its is day 3 of meds (going to be day 4 later tonight) I haven't seen any re-growth but it hasn't gotten worse either.

Shadowraven said:
Fin rot is a gram-negative type of bacterial infection. If it doesn't start getting any better you may have to treat it with something like Jungle Fungus Eliminator, Tetracycline or Maracyn II.

Gram neg is treated with metronidazole. Tétracycline and erythromicine treat gram+. Maracine2 is ok... But start with water change and salt!

Saltypuppy said:
He had a water change - But no Salt. Salt is Bad for bettas. :p

Oh!
Betta likes and appreciate soft water salt.
If you dont have good fish book, look on Google and make sure you find at least 3 times the same info or make sure the site is reliable before telling!
Thanks

Saltypuppy said:
He had a water change - But no Salt. Salt is Bad for bettas. :p

Oh!
Betta likes and appreciate soft water salt.
If you dont have good fish book, look on Google and make sure you find at least 3 times the same info or make sure the site is reliable before telling!
Thanks

There is a quantity for treatment and one for comfort.
Treatment: one table spoon per 10 gallons. And a maximum of one table spoon per 5 gallons on 2 different treatment on two different days.

Making him happy: one table spoon per 25 gal.

Thanks

Sorry I haven't got back with you sooner. I've just finished a series of 16-hr work days and couldn't get back with you right away. They can tolerate some salt but, like most soft water fish, don't like a lot of it.

How is your betta doing so far?

He hasn't made any improvements. i fear I may have to try tetracycline but I don't even know if he can handle it. This morning he was laying on the bottom of the tank and I had to tap the glass a few times to get him to move. I went to feed him and he did eat, but he didn't rush to the surface like usual. His color has gotten pale and the rot has transferred to his Dorsal and Anal fin, as well as the original Caudal fin rot...

try staking marcyln and marcyln 2, fin rot can either be gram positive or gram negative. We don't know which it is so you must use both since they only work on one type. make sure you stay on the treatments for the recommened amount of time or else you will just make a type of fin rot that is resitant to anti-biotics

Well its obviously not Negative if Maracyn II hasn't worked. So Guess I can go and buy some Maracyn and try that.

If you are sure that your water parameters are good, that there are no contaminents in the tank, and he is not doing this to himself, then this might call for stronger measures.

You may need to treat him with a broad-spectrum antibiotic like Kanamycin or others meds like Jungle Fungus Eliminator or Jungle Binox. Although Binox may be the best choice here. This is starting to be an issue that needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

Make sure that ammonia and nitrites stay at 0ppm and nitrates below 20ppm. Your pH and temperature need to remain stable as bettas can be very sensitive to changes in these.

This treatment is likely to kill your good bacteria, so you would need to turn off the filter for the duration of treatment. Also raise the heat and add aeration to the water. Don't add salt as this may interfere with the medications effectiveness.

The best solution would be a clean, bare hospital tank or globe with fresh water. This will save your tank and the other betta from the stress of treament. Keep the water warm and aerated. Medicate as directed. Watch water parameters very closely. Let us know how he is doing.

Alright I will see if I can find either of those medications and give it a shot. I can borrow a heater from a friend and medicate him in my extra 5 gallon. I will also throw in an airstone.

Back
Top Bottom