Betta fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an Elephant Ear Betta in a community tank ad he is getting severely picked on. His tail and fins are very nipped - if / when I take him out, will his tail, fins grow back ?

He will grow them back. My Betta was a tail biter and since I've had him his tail has fully recovered. It was more than 1/2 gone 6 months ago. It took like 3 months and he bit it back at least twice in between but not in recent months.

I used a pinch of aquarium salt and kept the temp at 80, now he lives in freshwater at 75, no added salt.

I took the Betta out of the tank and put him in a vase until I can get something to put him in. Put a couple drops of Voogle to help heal. I know I saw somewhere a divider for Betta tanks? But seems cruel to put 2 males side by side with a divider

It is common practice but I wouldn't do it myself. At the store the poor fellas look exhausted flaring as the hours tick by.

Never heard of voogle? Warm water overnight if possible, he could go into shock if he temp drops. I might suggest floating him?

I took water out of tank he was in. I put him in the vase and on the kitchen table I put a floating plants - That's all I can do for right now I have to go to work I just wanted to save his life before he got picked to death- I never really thought the beta would get picked on I thought the beta would pick on somebody else. I have a pair of killie fish that are bullying everybody in the tank they may go back to the store if they continue. There are threadfin rainbows in the tank so I'm worried about their fins now

Sounds good, unless your house gets cold during the day. Where are you? The cold is hard on them especially when recovering from other trauma. Maybe on your lunch break you can buy a new heater for the next tank? Good luck glad he's okay

Massachusetts - shouldn't be too bad. I can only hope for the best. My other 2 Betta are in tanks with heater. This vase didn't have room for heater. Going to find something today. After work

Got a small tank with a filter and a heater so he should be happier and help to regrow some fins

At least it's something it's only a 1 gallon beta tank but it has a filter and a heater but that's all I have room for right now because I have 4 tanks so at least it's something I don't want him to die

At least it's something it's only a 1 gallon beta tank but it has a filter and a heater but that's all I have room for right now because I have 4 tanks so at least it's something I don't want him to die

He is super happy now I'm sure. Enjoy the recovery, I always bond more with the fish who need my help ;)

With a small volume of water sometimes a filter is stressful to a Betta so keep an eye on that. Personally with a tank that size I don't bother with a filter, its very difficult to cycle.

The Betta came out of a 30g cube and played in the outflow. Kinda liked it., I guess. He is having trouble swimming now cause his fins are torn up. But everyone has reassured me they will grow back !!

Yes they will grow back. I have Bettas myself so I've got some experience with damaged fins. It's different when there's a filter on a 30g than a 1g, I found the filter was too much for my Bettas when in anything less than a 5g, just my experience.

Well made it through the night. {clap clap} eating like crazy!! Love brine shrimp soaked in garlic and micro pellets

The culprit of fin nipping is a breeding pair of Killifish. They will be rehomed and the Betta will return to the 30g

Back
Top Bottom