Betta fish Diagnosis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HalfMoon B

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got back from a weekend away and noticed a bulge in the swim bladder of my betta.
Is see no change in his swimming pattern or behavior, no signs of ich or velvet.
Ammo 0, trite 0, trate is 20-30 (pwc in process tonight), temp is holding at 80.1
Any ideas what it could be?
Pic attached
Tank is a 20 gal planted
he is in with 6 card tetras, 4 nerites, and 4 amano shrimp
water change is weekly on sundays for me, between 40-50% changes and vacuuming. One day late this week thanks to vacation.
the betta has been in my care for the last 6 months.
he gets a mix of hikari betta food, and bloodwoms as a treat. feeding every other day.

Attachments

• image-974629535.jpg
    image-974629535.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Well, first of all, that's nowhere near the betta's bladder lol. It appears to be a growth of some sort. I'm not sure quite how you'd fix it though... Hmm... It doesn't appear to be causing a problem though, so unless it gets worse, i wouldn't worry about it.

Sorry Homedog, but the OP is correct: Betta anatomy

What you can do for swim bladder disease is try a feeding of de-shelled, boiled, mashed peas to clear things out of there.

Edit: You're confusing bladder with swim bladder, which the OP said was affected.

Ok... Image saved lol... Must learn more about betta's lol!

=] Yep! It's always a good idea to check google for a minute before giving advice. You don't want your guessing to end up being the death of someone's fish.

2 days of blanched pea diet and he is more active, but still has that protrusion. Going to give it a few more days and see what happens

Okay. =] If you see him pooping, then it's probably not a waste blockage, and it could be a tumor...

haha, well if you can, keep an eye out for it. I know it's hard to see with some fish (I've never seen my tetras poo), but it's an important thing to know!

I'm sorry to hear... maybe he has a tumor then. I'm not an expert on fish diseases though...

He has been taking a lot of lie downs on some leaves in his tank. Not sure if the cards are annoying him or not, but he is doing fine for now...

Back
Top Bottom