Betta Fish Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
It's been a few days since I've noticed cloudy circles in my betta fishes eyes. This does not seem to impact his vision, as he still gets very active when I'm around the tank and has not had issues finding his food.

Tank Size: 10 Gallons
Aquarium Mates: 2 Nerite Snails, 2 Cory Catfish, 3 Blue Coral Platies
Tank PH Level: 8
Tank Ammonia Level: 0
Tank Nitrite Level: 0
Tank Nitrate Level: 20

I do weekly water changes consisting of about 30-40% using my suction hose, and scrape the glass to remove algae and use a toothbrush to clean plants/decorations as needed (all of the plants in the aquarium are live plants). The tank did have an algae problem in the water columns about 5 weeks ago, and I purchased a "Mini Green Killing Machine" which helped significantly. My aquarium lights are programmed and have a ramp up and ramp down cycle, with the lights being at maximum level for about 6 hours a day.

I'm worried he may have an infection and perhaps "pop eye", so any advice or recommendations would be appreciated! I've attached some pictures as well.

Thank you everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_142451592.jpg
    IMG_20200530_142451592.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20200530_142522451.jpg
    IMG_20200530_142522451.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200530_142557963.jpg
    IMG_20200530_142557963.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 27
Best ph for betta enviroment: 6.5-7.5

Try API products if you dont see any other issue in the tank, always work

I dont think it is a issue, but you have 2 nerite snails (u can add only 1 per 5g cause they eat a lot) and 2 cat fish so make sure to check if there is food for eerybody and not overfeed

Thank you for the reply fishingBuds.
Does anyone else have any suggestions or thoughts about this issue, or any knowledge about what it may be/if he needs some type of treatment?

I bought him about 4 months ago, and he has not grown/changed since then although he did nip his own fins when I first got him which made his tail a bit shorter than originally, but he has not done so in about 3 1/2 months. My theory on why he did this was because his tail got in his way/he thought it was food; he's a crowntail. I am unsure about his exact age though.

I dont know where u bought it from, but some pet stores sell them in super small cups and cubes...they are already stressed when they go "home" for the first time, not counting the journey itself. So, take in consideration the ammount of stress, because just like any other animal, stress can weak your friends body...
Good luck
(Just another perspective)

Thank you for this perspective; I did buy him from a pet store which does sell betta's in tiny cups (which saddens me every time I need to go in and grab cat food, and also compelled me to do research on betta's and want to offer one a home they'd enjoy). I can imagine this was a stressful experience for him, as he was a part of a delayed shipment in February earlier this year (due to extreme winter weather conditions).

Hi fishingBuds, thank you for checking in!
He is doing the same, though the spot is still there in one of his eyes (hasn't changed much). He is eating normally and swimming around, so I'm not sure if maybe he hurt his eye on something in the tank, or if it may be a cataract in one eye.

If he is active, eating, playing around and sleeping...its certain that you have a blind friend...but keep checking on him and check if any of the API products can help with that issue of yours.

Glad to know he is fine

Hi again fishingBuds,
I have noticed he isn't quite as active as he used to be, and lately has been hanging around his heater and I've seen him totally upright lately as well (usually face closest to water surface, but yesterday his face was towards the bottom). He still eats, and still swims around, but he does seem to be slowing down. I did a water test yesterday with my large kit, and changed the water (about 30%) and the parameters/temperature were fine.
He does seem to have a distended stomach, which he has had since I got him, although I only feed the tank once every other day (maybe this is too little?). I am wondering if maybe I should put him on a fast for a few days as maybe he is having some gastrointestinal upset.

Back
Top Bottom