Betta Fish: Is it Fin Rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reeb666

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Symptoms: I have a male veil tail who doesn't move unless the water is disturbed, and his left fin looks very thin or possibly erroded (except for the "shaft" bits) When he moves he has to move the left fin a lot faster than the right. His tail is raggedy too. I haven't seen any fuzz or black rot or anything though. He isn't eating now either (as of the past 24 hours).

Background: I just got him from my sister 2 days ago (she wasn't very good at remembering to do water changes) and he has been sitting at the bottom of the tank for probably a week now. I've been keeping it clean the past few days. There was a 100% water change yesterday and I added the instant start bacteria. Since he doesn't move much I put him in a mesh nursery box so that he doesn't have to swim as far to reach the top. I also turned off the filter yesterday (after leaving it running with all the water conditioner and stuff in the tank for a bit) so he didn't have to put as much stress on the fin.

I can't test the water because I left the kit at my old house. Should I go ahead with a salt water treatment, or is there a different issue? I should be able to test the water in 2 or 3 days, but I don't want to wait too long because he looks like he is getting worse

Summary: Betta fish, tattered fins with no fuzz or black rot, 10 Gal tank (but in a floating mesh nursery), filter currently turned off, heat at 71* (have ordered a new heater but it won't get here for a bit)

Update: I did get him to eat a few hikari betta pellets just now. It seems as though he wants to move but the left fin is making it exhausting for him to swim

Back
Top Bottom