Betta fish is sick, not sure with what anymore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rewatts2001

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! I just made this account today because I am seriously worried about my betta fish. I have had her for a couple of months, I had to buy her for a school project and I was finally allowed to take her home and put her in a better tank. When I first brought her home I had to treat her religiously for fin rot and fungus due to the conditions she lived in before. She recovered wonderfully and was happy, active, and grew out her incredible fins.

Now however, she has gotten much worse all of a sudden. This Monday I noticed she was lethargic and had white rings around her eyes so I began treating for popeye by cleaning her tank and doing a total water change and then with a bacterial medication as I have had a betta with popeye before and it looked like that. She hasn't gotten better and now I have noticed she is swimming sideways at the top of her tank and gasping a lot. Her tummy might be slightly bloated but I didn't see and swim bladder vloating so now I am terrified its dropsy and everything else has been brought on by that. I had to turn of the filter because she was getting stuck under it and couldn't stand the flow.

She is currently in a 2.5 gallon tank, and her water conditions seem fine, I just bought a new set of testers the other day. I don't have a heater, as I have been trying to find a decent one that won't cook her with no luck so far and I don't have a lot of money to spend after I bought her medication. I ordered some Kanaplex from Seachem but it is taking far longer than I through to get here and I'm scared it won't in time. I've also noticed a lot of white specks down in the bottom of her tank, not like ich though and none on her. Does anyone have any ideas?? Please help, I''m trying everything I can think of that might help, I attached some pictures of her at he top of her tank.

Attachments

• Indigo .jpg
    Indigo .jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Indigo.jpg
    Indigo.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 88
I'm really devastated now, she looks so much worse than I through when I got home today, I'm scared and I don't know what to do it looks like shes going to die. Since I've made this post, her popeye got very bad very fast within a few hours. I cleaned her tank one more time and gave her some API bacterial medication. I've done all I physically can at this point, I really hope it helps and she starts to get even a little better.

Last edited:
It might be chlorine poisoning put in some stress zyme or water conditioner or maybe cloudy eye.

Thank you for the advice, but the day after I made this post her popeye worsened within a few hours to extreme levels and she passed away soon after.

Back
Top Bottom