Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Betta fish not eating

Hi, I'm new to the forums but been reading it. I got a betta last week, he don't want to eat nothing since he got here. I tried flakes, pellets bloodworms and no luck. Water temp is 77 and readings are ammonia 00 nitrites 00 and nitrate 20-30. It's a planted tank and at this point I don't know what else to do. He does seem healthy and lively always swims around but won't eat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181003_234825.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	310594  

Old 10-12-2018, 11:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

He is a really pretty fish.

What size tank and what is your maintenance schedule looking like? Try Hikari Betta Biogold. Also if you have a lfs who carries live brine shrimp that will usually get them to eat.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks . He's at a 10gallon tank good temp. I do weekly water change of 10%-15%. After more than a week he's eating frozen brine shrimps, he now at least look at the other foods I have and actually pick up pellets but might be a little too big for him. Now he's more active . The pellets are new spectrum life pellets.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Glad to hear he seems to be doing a little better. I would do a bigger pwc every once in awhile to help freshen up the water (once a month maybe). If he seems sluggish, try a bigger pwc for a few weeks say 25% and see if he acts better and more active. If so then consider the larger amount.

Ideal water conditions help the fish immune system keep them healthier. If suffering from a stress of some kind is when they can get sick. Maybe it is in the minerals or something too coming in with the water changes, just a guess.

Being a new to you fish and probably going through many shipping stresses and different water conditions, including traveling in a tiny bag with a tiny amount of water, he could have had some ammonia burns and just didn't feel well.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

In a 10g I'd do 50% weekly water changes. That's the nice thing about small tanks....easy to change out larger amounts of water which is always good.

Omega One Betta Buffet pellets seem to be a perfect size if you are having troubles with feeding him the New Life pellets.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Glad to hear he seems to be doing a little better. I would do a bigger pwc every once in awhile to help freshen up the water (once a month maybe). If he seems sluggish, try a bigger pwc for a few weeks say 25% and see if he acts better and more active. If so then consider the larger amount.

Ideal water conditions help the fish immune system keep them healthier. If suffering from a stress of some kind is when they can get sick. Maybe it is in the minerals or something too coming in with the water changes, just a guess.

Being a new to you fish and probably going through many shipping stresses and different water conditions, including traveling in a tiny bag with a tiny amount of water, he could have had some ammonia burns and just didn't feel well.
I can up the water changes more. Like I said he always seems active and never stop swimming, just didn't liked to eat. I love to use Prime for my water changes and when I add a new fish I use Stress Coat + to help with stress , I was afraid he would get sick because of that but thank God he didn't. Last week I did partial ones more often because I had a little nitrite reading, had a little old food from the two cory tanks makes and got rid of it with more than one water change and bigger in a few days. Like I said, he is a picky eater hehe.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
In a 10g I'd do 50% weekly water changes. That's the nice thing about small tanks....easy to change out larger amounts of water which is always good.

Omega One Betta Buffet pellets seem to be a perfect size if you are having troubles with feeding him the New Life pellets.
That's good to know, my old tank was a 40gallons and partial water changes I would be scared to do one that big, with this I can try that out. About the food. I have the same food but in flakes (I tried a few different types from the best I could find) but he just ignored them all, the pellets I leave them soaking a little in aquarium water to help him out. I was suggested to use garlic juice for picky eating fish, I'm trying to get Seachem Garlic Guard to help with that if I have any other problems with him. Now he knows when I open the lid is feeding time and comes up so he did took a while to see that
Old 10-13-2018, 07:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stress Coat+ is a dechlorinator as well as Prime so be aware of how much you are adding to the tank especially with Prime.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:38 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Stress Coat+ is a dechlorinator as well as Prime so be aware of how much you are adding to the tank especially with Prime.
Only used it two time since I know they act the same, just to help with the stress because the Aloe Vera it has. I don't use it at all if I don't add a new fish. And add way less. It did helped me a lot in my bigger tank. Might be best in not use it in such a small one? Since I'm using Prime.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

With prime, one cap full treats 55 gallons I believe. For 10 gallons use a very small amount and dose Stress Coat as recommend....I believe it's half a cap for 10 gallons. Double dosing a tank with new fish isn't bad IMO but triple or more is overkill.

I also believe you'd benefit from weekly 50% water changes.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
With prime, one cap full treats 55 gallons I believe. For 10 gallons use a very small amount and dose Stress Coat as recommend....I believe it's half a cap for 10 gallons. Double dosing a tank with new fish isn't bad IMO but triple or more is overkill.

I also believe you'd benefit from weekly 50% water changes.
Prime is 1ml per 10gallons, stress 5ml. But since I use stress+ only when I add a fish I add less since my main is Prime

Tags
betta, betta fish, eat, eating, fish, not eating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com