Betta fish not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dajh2000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to the forums but been reading it. I got a betta last week, he don't want to eat nothing since he got here. I tried flakes, pellets bloodworms and no luck. Water temp is 77 and readings are ammonia 00 nitrites 00 and nitrate 20-30. It's a planted tank and at this point I don't know what else to do. He does seem healthy and lively always swims around but won't eat.

Attachments

• 20181003_234825.jpg
    20181003_234825.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 79
He is a really pretty fish.

What size tank and what is your maintenance schedule looking like? Try Hikari Betta Biogold. Also if you have a lfs who carries live brine shrimp that will usually get them to eat.

Thanks :). He's at a 10gallon tank good temp. I do weekly water change of 10%-15%. After more than a week he's eating frozen brine shrimps, he now at least look at the other foods I have and actually pick up pellets but might be a little too big for him. Now he's more active :). The pellets are new spectrum life pellets.

Glad to hear he seems to be doing a little better. I would do a bigger pwc every once in awhile to help freshen up the water (once a month maybe). If he seems sluggish, try a bigger pwc for a few weeks say 25% and see if he acts better and more active. If so then consider the larger amount.

Ideal water conditions help the fish immune system keep them healthier. If suffering from a stress of some kind is when they can get sick. Maybe it is in the minerals or something too coming in with the water changes, just a guess.

Being a new to you fish and probably going through many shipping stresses and different water conditions, including traveling in a tiny bag with a tiny amount of water, he could have had some ammonia burns and just didn't feel well.

In a 10g I'd do 50% weekly water changes. That's the nice thing about small tanks....easy to change out larger amounts of water which is always good.

Omega One Betta Buffet pellets seem to be a perfect size if you are having troubles with feeding him the New Life pellets.

Glad to hear he seems to be doing a little better. I would do a bigger pwc every once in awhile to help freshen up the water (once a month maybe). If he seems sluggish, try a bigger pwc for a few weeks say 25% and see if he acts better and more active. If so then consider the larger amount.

Ideal water conditions help the fish immune system keep them healthier. If suffering from a stress of some kind is when they can get sick. Maybe it is in the minerals or something too coming in with the water changes, just a guess.

Being a new to you fish and probably going through many shipping stresses and different water conditions, including traveling in a tiny bag with a tiny amount of water, he could have had some ammonia burns and just didn't feel well.
I can up the water changes more. Like I said he always seems active and never stop swimming, just didn't liked to eat. I love to use Prime for my water changes and when I add a new fish I use Stress Coat + to help with stress , I was afraid he would get sick because of that but thank God he didn't. Last week I did partial ones more often because I had a little nitrite reading, had a little old food from the two cory tanks makes and got rid of it with more than one water change and bigger in a few days. Like I said, he is a picky eater hehe.

In a 10g I'd do 50% weekly water changes. That's the nice thing about small tanks....easy to change out larger amounts of water which is always good.

Omega One Betta Buffet pellets seem to be a perfect size if you are having troubles with feeding him the New Life pellets.
That's good to know, my old tank was a 40gallons and partial water changes I would be scared to do one that big, with this I can try that out. About the food. I have the same food but in flakes (I tried a few different types from the best I could find) but he just ignored them all, the pellets I leave them soaking a little in aquarium water to help him out. I was suggested to use garlic juice for picky eating fish, I'm trying to get Seachem Garlic Guard to help with that if I have any other problems with him. Now he knows when I open the lid is feeding time and comes up so he did took a while to see that

Stress Coat+ is a dechlorinator as well as Prime so be aware of how much you are adding to the tank especially with Prime.

Stress Coat+ is a dechlorinator as well as Prime so be aware of how much you are adding to the tank especially with Prime.
Only used it two time since I know they act the same, just to help with the stress because the Aloe Vera it has. I don't use it at all if I don't add a new fish. And add way less. It did helped me a lot in my bigger tank. Might be best in not use it in such a small one? Since I'm using Prime.

With prime, one cap full treats 55 gallons I believe. For 10 gallons use a very small amount and dose Stress Coat as recommend....I believe it's half a cap for 10 gallons. Double dosing a tank with new fish isn't bad IMO but triple or more is overkill.

I also believe you'd benefit from weekly 50% water changes.

With prime, one cap full treats 55 gallons I believe. For 10 gallons use a very small amount and dose Stress Coat as recommend....I believe it's half a cap for 10 gallons. Double dosing a tank with new fish isn't bad IMO but triple or more is overkill.

I also believe you'd benefit from weekly 50% water changes.
Prime is 1ml per 10gallons, stress 5ml. But since I use stress+ only when I add a fish I add less since my main is Prime :)

Back
Top Bottom