Betta fish sick/how to properly cyce tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should I change my filter cartridge?

• Yes, start fresh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, leave it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lgeihm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I have some questions before I make any changes to my tank. I have a 5 gallon tank for my (one) betta fish, it has a heater that keeps the water at about 78-80 degrees, it is filtered (not a very powerful filter, as to not stress him out). Anyway, I made a mistake a few days ago and did an full tank change because the ammonia level was ridiculously high (I did not know any better at the time). So, I added fresh dechlorinated water and, a pH balancer (of 7.0). I tested the water immediately after changing and the ammonia was STILL high, so I added an ammonia remover. I have not changed the filter cartridge, aside from rinsing it with water. However, my betta now has a white film on his body, and it seems to be growing more each day. I'm very worried about him, and I don't know what to do. Should I medicate his tank with "betta fix" or aquarium salt? Should I put in a new filter cartridge? Should I start with a fresh tank and not add anything except dechlorinator? I really don't want to lose him, and he's becoming more lethargic every day. Any advice is appreciated.... thank you so much!

Treat your situation as a "fish in tank cycle" redo. Change 25% of the water every day during the process, approx. A month. It's okay to treat the tank with Bettafix or Melafix, those products are all natural and probably won ' t hurt the growing BB. Don't clean your filter during the process. When cleaning resumes, only use old tank water to rinse off the filter media.
Hope the Betta makes it.

Back
Top Bottom