Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2020, 09:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Betta fish sick. Please help.

Hello all. I am really asking for some help here with my little guy. I have a paradise male betta fish. I adopted him in October 2019. He had been very happy and healthy until about a month ago. I noticed about a month ago that he clamped his top fin. We think this happened when our electricity went out with a storm and his heater turned off. Other than his clamped fin, he was acting completely normal and eating great. I noticed a few weeks later that his clamped fin was bleeding on the very tip. I think this happened when he maybe got stuck on an ornament in the tank. I have since removed the ornament just to be safe. I then noticed one eye became cloudy. The eye does not appear to be swollen and looks the be the same size as the other eye. He has increasingly gotten paler and hides in one of the ornaments but continues to eat well every meal. He has the same housemates he has had since I got them which are two snails. Heís in a 6 gallon tank that is heated and has a filter. Iíve had the water tested once a week since I noticed him being off and every time they say the water parameters are perfect. I do a 25% water change once a week and change the filter once a month. The snails are acting completely normal. I donít see any signs of velvet or white fuzz. He just looks pale and sort of lethargic. He hasnít flared since he clamped his fin and now the fin just looks very tattered. Every time I go to the closest fish husbandry store (reputable...not a typical pet store) they say he looks fine or that heís just stressed and keep watching him. I just feel like Iím watching him get worse and that I should be doing more. Prior to this he seemed very happy and healthy. Any advice? Below Iíll attach three pictures. The first of him when I first got him. The second of his bloody and clamped fin. The third of how pale he is tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49F5FB58-EFEB-4C97-9520-40BAA865B79F.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	315434   Click image for larger version

Name:	3C6AF427-C811-4EB6-A4D6-C9F57BC27D09.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	315435  

Click image for larger version

Name:	230CB268-723F-4334-A340-EC6796F41C20.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	315436  

Old 02-25-2020, 01:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is the fish store the ones doing the water tests? What are they using? Liquid or strips?

Skai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A lfs telling you your water is fine may be right may not be. If theyíre using strips youíre trusting that theyíve stored them well they are not too old, havenít gotten damp. Also many stores use strips that donít even have ammonia tests and thatís one of the major culprits.

Iíd do a 50% water change just in case. Wonít hurt; may help.

Then go back and find out how they are testing and the numerical result. If theyíre using strips Iíd recommend getting your own liquid test kit to confirm.

Tags
betta, betta fish, fish, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com