betta fish swollen abdomen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rchityal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I have betta fish with a swollen abdomen, I thought its constipated and fed small pieces of boiled green pea for 3 days, but doesn't seems to work. It doesn't look like dropsy, because its scales are not pointing outwards. I don't know which medicine works for this kind of symptoms, need help on the how to treat it..

thanks.

Hiya rchityal and welcome to Aquariumadvice.com

Scales poking out like a pinecone are only one of the possible symptoms of dropsy. Its quite possible he does have dropsy, especially since the peas did not appear to work. Did he poo at all after feeding him the peas? If so, what did it look like?

Dropsy is not a disease in and of itself. Rather, its a sign of internal organ failure cause by something else. The kidneys start shutting down and the fish cannot remove liquids from their system. Consequently, one can medicate but theres no guarantee it will work :(

Do go visit this page and click on "dropsy": http://www.fish-disease.com/diseases.htm . It will give you some more info on at as well as possible treatments.

Also, I'm going to move this post to the Unhealthy Fish forum.

Swollen Betta

Greetings rchityal,

I see that this was your first post. I have no idea of your level of expertise in the hobby, or your knowledge of bettas in general. As always, Allivymar has given you excellent advice. Without my being insulting, I'm wondering if possibly you have a female betta that is loaded with eggs. Just a thought. I hope you take it in the spirit with which it is intended.

Welcome to the forum. - Guppyman

Back
Top Bottom