Betta fish with chewed fins.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

torstar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey folks I hope you can offer some advice : )

My betta fish's Dorsal, Caudal, anal, Pectoral and Ventral fins have been ripped to shreds every fin on it's body is probably 1/4 the size it used to be.

Seriously every fin! :bawl:

I have a yoyo in my tank but never until today has it ever been aggressive toward my other fish *that I have seen*.

Tank mates are
1 Yoyo, 3 rummynose, 2 panda garras, 2 panda cories

The betta can swim to the top of the tank to eat, but under extreme duress only. the rest of the time he's just laying down on what ever he floats down on.

I have removed the betta from the tank and placed him in a container alone that is shallow enough that it doesn't have to stress too much to get to the top to eat.

What do you think are the chances it will survive?
Is there anything I can do to help this poor bugger along or is he destined to go to the great aquarium in the sky?

He should be okay as long as you provide 100% pristine water. Their fins have a huge capacity to regrow. He will never be able to go back in the aquarium until you do something about the aggressive fish though.

It's good you're making sure he has easy access to the surface. I'd do daily water changes since the container is small and its vitally important to keep the water clean while he's healing. Make sure the water temperature is stable as well--any extra stress is going to make things worse for him.

For the future, Amazon sells some nice aquarium kits for reasonable prices. Or you can take advantage of Petcos dollar per gallon sale that's running until the 24th. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mebbid -
Yeah the yoyo is history as of tomorrow, I called a friend and he said he would be glad to put him in his 50G.

Haileyjade - I am always on amazon.com and .ca (love them both)
It's generally the shipping that kills me to ship anything significant to Canada. As far as I know, there is no petco in Canada. however Petsmart.ca is having a sale and I am going to go pick up a small aquarium for him until he heals fully. that way he can chill alone while he gets some serious Recuperation done.

Thank you both very much for the quick replies. I really appreciate it.

Ahhh yeah, shipping. :/ Its great you've got an option though and I'm sure having some space to himself will help him heal right up. Hope it all works out for the little guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom