betta has tail rott

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi evman333,
I have had some bettas that are just prone to fin rot, and then I've had some that never got it. But there are a few things to check out -- How are your water parameters? If the ammonia level is high, over .25 ppm, then that could cause it. Another one is water temperature. I keep my betta tanks at 80 degrees. If the temp fluctuates too much, then the betta will probably get fin rot.

Stress can be another cause. I have 2 bettas, each in their own 5.5 gallon tank. The tanks are beside each other, and the bettas could see each other. One betta couldn't care less, and the other one just swam himself silly until he frayed his tail. So now I put a piece of newspaper on the width of the tank that faces the other betta. It did seem to calm him down.

I would use some Bettamax as the first step, since he already has fin rot, and you don't want an infection to set in. Bettamax turns the water green, and also stains silicone, so maybe take the betta out of the tank (you have a 2.5 and 5.5 gallon tank, right?) and use the Bettamax in a QT bowl. When I put one of my bettas in his QT bowl, I keep it under the kitchen counter lights, because that keeps the water at an even 80 degrees. If you do use a QT bowl, place it in a spot where the temp won't fluctuate. I would use the Bettamax treatment for 6 days, changing the water every other day with some new Bettamax water. Hopefully that will get him better, and then you can try to see what caused the fin rot in the first place. Good luck!

I agree with the above advice. My betta used to get fin rot if I looked at him odd. What a PITA!! Good luck with the treatment.

Menagerie said:
My betta used to get fin rot if I looked at him odd. What a PITA!!

I had one like that too. :(

I just thought of something else...Do you have plastic plants in the tank? Silk plants are better for bettas. Plastic plants may tear their fins. Although a fin injury from a plastic plant may or may not turn into fin rot, it's better not to take a chance. I would only have silk plants in with a betta.

You have the advice you need.

And don't forget the ever new betta fad..chase and bite your own tail.
If he happens to be in a bowl or sleeps on the bottom a lot, the tail rot will be a hard long road to end. Specially if he has excessive finnage.

Back
Top Bottom