Betta Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kasper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My poor little betta, Octopus is sick; i've done quite a bit of research, but still cant seem to figure out whats wrong with the little guy.

1. I attached a picture. He is a Betta fish; He's naturally a light pinkish colour. the blue specks on his tail fin are natural --though he has grown more since i've had him-- He's been lethargic, he has what appears to be velvet on his gill, and what almost looks like dirt stuck in his scales near his face. he clamps his top fin. and seems to have a swim bladder problem. it takes him a lot of effort to swim around, or at least it appears to.
  2. I try to keep his tanks temperature at 76-80. but it usually falls around 74-76 degrees Fahrenheit.
  3. I usually keep him in a tank thats about 36 cups of water. so about two gallons. Ive been adding the same treatment to the tank every three to four weeks; recently ive been adding in some aquarium salt to his tank.
  4. I dont have a filter
  5. Hes all alone in his tank. He used to have a snail friend...but well... im pretty sure you can figure out how that went..
  6. I do a full water change, scrub all the pebbles, the silly plastic plant, and his little boat he sleeps in, about monthly. I just cleaned his water today, a little early than i usually do
  7. Ive had Octopus for a bit over a year now.
  8. nothing new. the most recent thing ive added to the tank would be aquarium salt. though thats not very new anymore. ive been adding it for about four months now
  9. Ive been feeding him the food with the yellow cap you get at petssmart. "Aqueon" brand, its called just "betta food
Just please help me figure out whats wrong with my little guy :(
i want him to be happy, active, and healthy again :fish2:

* I forgot to mention that he still flares his gills, but they have this brown stuff around the edges..i dont know if that'll help anything.

Attachments

• PhotoEffects-634764861842990000.jpg
    PhotoEffects-634764861842990000.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Could be the parameters maybe. Don't know too much about betta but when I had a 2 gallon tank for me betta I atleast changed his water weekly.

With 2 gallons and no filter, you should be doing daily or every other day 50% water changes.

Your temp is too low, too.

What does this mean? "Ive been adding the same treatment to the tank every three to four weeks"

I mean the water conditioner. and how would i get the temperature higher

Hi, your problem sounds very similar to what my Betta had when I used to keep them. I just kept the water really clean, lowered the amount of food to help and treated with tetra medica general tonic. It took a few weeks but he was perfect again after that.

Hope this helps :)

Hi, your problem sounds very similar to what my Betta had when I used to keep them. I just kept the water really clean, lowered the amount of food to help and treated with tetra medica general tonic. It took a few weeks but he was perfect again after that.

Hope this helps :)

Yes! Thank you! Where would I get the tonic?

I got it at my lfs but I'm in the uk so hope you can get it where you are.

The active ingredients are

Ethacridine-lactate
Acriflavine
Methylene blue
9-aminoacridinr-hydrochloride

Hopefully if you can't get the same you can find something similar. good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom