Betta in community tank is sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabrielle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I think he is. When I originally got him, he was a royal blue color. In the few weeks his outer fins have turned green. I included a picture back from when I first got him too.

I've had him for about six months, and about a month ago, I introduced him to a community tank.

In the 10g tank there are:
6 glofish (AKA zebra danios)
2 black mollies
4 ghost shrimp
(I know these are not the BEST tank mates for a betta, but they actually all get along okay.)

Originally, he was fine, but now he's losing color, hiding more, and spending a lot of time on the bottom not moving at all. I've thought he had died more than once because he was just not moving. He's also go some spot where scales on his head seem to be either missing or discolored, I'm not sure which. It's clear in the pictures, if you could let me know what that is. Is this all just stress from moving in with more fish or is he really sick?

Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but there was a small bout of ich last week. I used the heat method for a week, and all traces of ich are gone.

The tank is kept at 76-77 degrees and is filtered. I do a 30% water change every week. However, I do not have the equipment to check pH, ammonia, etc (Unfortunately, I'm rather broke.)

Any thoughts are welcome.

Attachments

• 100MEDIA_IMAG0100.jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG0100.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 100MEDIA_IMAG0101.jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG0101.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Camera_IMG_20120517_093222.jpg
    Camera_IMG_20120517_093222.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 60
Wow you need to rehome or get another tank, you are WAY WAY over stocked. Danios have been known to chase, nip and harass other fish to death. He is stressed and I can only Imagine your water parameters. Mollies are poop machines and make lots of toxins. Danios are WAY too active for a 10 gallon. I would rehome either Danios, Mollies, or your betta.

Please Rehome the mollies, they need a 20 gallon atleast and some grow to 5+ inches. I would put your betta in a tank by himself with maybe a snail.

check your stock here
http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Its a guide, but wow.

Actually, I asked on this site if that was overstocked and no one said that it was. They're all very small right now, and I'm moving to a larger tank within a few months.

I just checked the site you sent me, and they said that I'm only slightly overstocked. Also, about the danios, they have no problems with chasing or fin nipping. I spend most of my day by my fish tank and there are no aggression problems. All of the research I did said as long as there are 6 or more danios, and they can school, behavior problems are minimal.

The mollies were a gamble, but all of them stay out of each others' ways. No behavior problems at all.

Even still, that doesn't really answer my question about the betta.

He is stressed from all the tight quarters and that is why he is stress. He doesn't look too hot. I would separate him, I would also test your water. I would put him in his own tank. You can get a cheap one from walmart for 20 bucks and he would be much happier. Bettas aren't really into Active tanks and the overpopulation is stressing him.
I have a betta in a Community tank, its a 29 and he is the biggest guy in there and I have the filter baffled. He has his own 5 gallon Marineland Hec if he decides he would rather be on his own.

So you think all of these problems would be resolved if I moved him?

I'd say move him temporarily if you can. FWIW, you can get the API freshwater testing kit on amazon.com for about $18. Not too bad.

I don't think you're horribly overstocked.

Good luck and keep asking questions!

I actually just ordered a testing kit :) I suppose I'll have to find somewhere to put him for the time being until I can scrounge up the money for another tank...

I moved my betta to a 1 gallon bowl. However, he won't be in there for more than a week. I just want to make sure his condition improves before I move him anywhere else.

Try a little stress coat. I had a dropped fish that flopped around all over the floor. I let him be in just a set up like you, with a filter and a heater though. 100% water changes every 2-3 days and redose the Stress Coat. All healed up. He was a little CPD. He has a run in with the Intake tube and he lost an eye. But, still peppy.

Well, it seems that his color is coming back. There was a time where his color did come back in the community tank, but then it went right back to the way it was.

Uh oh. I just took another look and he's looking even worse for wear since I moved him. He's looking more grey and he's behaving the exact same way.

Uh oh. I just took another look and he's looking even worse for ware since I moved him. He's looking more grey and he's behaving the exact same way.

Can you take a picture of him now? I just wanna see what you're seeing at the moment. Is there a fish store close by you? A lot of them will test your water, and even though they use strips, which aren't all that great, it's better than nothing. It looks like he's bent in the first one. Is his spine bent? Or was he just turning when you took the picture?

No, there's not a fish store nearby me, but I should get my testing kit tomorrow (I put it on rush shipping).

I included some new pics. He just looks a lot duller today.

And no, his spine's not bent. Not from what I've seen, anyway.

Attachments

• 100MEDIA_IMAG0104.jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG0104.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 100MEDIA_IMAG0102.jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG0102.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 44
The dullness I would say is stress. He has no place to hide, and bettas are shy. His head looks to me like he got caught in something. Do you see any decorations in the 10(?) gal that he could have gotten into and got stuck on? A hole in a piece of driftwood or a rock with a small opening? Have you noticed either in the big tank or in this one your betta rubbing against anything - the walls, decor, substrate? With his color changing like it has been and him acting funny, I would bet he's getting harassed and you haven't seen it. If we can get him cleared up, I would say get a 5-10 gal tank to just him and maybe a snail. Does his head look like anything is growing on it? Like fuzzies?

No, there's nothing in the big tank he could get stuck in/on. There are no fuzzies on his head,and I've never seen him rubbing against anything.

And I know it's hard to believe, but their tank is RIGHT on my desk, where I spend literally 15 hours a day. If he was being harassed, I would see it because it's right in front of my face while I work. Plus, he has TONS of hiding places, and uses them to great effect when he's irritated.

And getting him another tank actually isn't an option... I live in a college dorm, and we're only allowed a 10 gallon tank, nothing more. SO, it's either the community tank or a Tupperware bowl, which is why I put him in the community tank to begin with.

No, there's nothing in the big tank he could get stuck in/on. There are no fuzzies on his head,and I've never seen him rubbing against anything.

And I know it's hard to believe, but their tank is RIGHT on my desk, where I spend literally 15 hours a day. If he was being harassed, I would see it because it's right in front of my face while I work. Plus, he has TONS of hiding places, and uses them to great effect when he's irritated.

And getting him another tank actually isn't an option... I live in a college dorm, and we're only allowed a 10 gallon tank, nothing more. SO, it's either the community tank or a Tupperware bowl, which is why I put him in the community tank to begin with.

I live in a dorm, too. I get the space thing.

Nothing to get stuck on. What kind of heater do you have?

As stupid as this may sound, is he in a place with really bright light? My last betta hated bright lights with a passion.

How much water movement do you have in the 10 gal? That might be an issue with your betta. If you have noticed or do notice, does his poop look normal? Did you notice anything other than the marks on his head and the color change? No fin rot or white spots in him or gold dust?

It's a Cascade 50 watt submersible heater.

And come to think of it, yeah, I keep a lamp on next to the aquarium.

The filter is 40 gallons an hour, I believe. He did have trouble with the current for a little while until I raised the water level and put a decoration under it to break up the current.

As for his poop, I haven't noticed anything unusual.

Back
Top Bottom