Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Betta is sick. Internal parasites?

I think my betta fish has internal parasites.
He is swollen in the stomach and also hasnít pooped in a few days.

From the beginning
I noticed my betta was swollen in his abdomen a few days ago. He was having issues swimming to the top of the tank when I was feeding him and would sink down to the bottom of the tank.

The middle
I decided to fast him because I thought he was constipated. He fast for 3 full days. On the 4th day, he was given a defrosted pea. On the 4th day I noticed a long white string hanging out of his belly, which I think is the hole where the poop comes out from.
Iím not sure if the white string is from constipation or if it is a parasite ?

The end
Today is the 5th day, I am at work and I donít know what preventions to take later on today.
I live in Canada, and it is extremely hard to find parasite medication for fish (has something to do with the laws here) I wanted to try general cure but it is not sold in Canada.

Can anyone recommend me medication that I can get in Canada for internal parasites ? Or any other recommendations would be great.

Thank you

Old 08-02-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Have you tried the online shop AMAZON ? Go there website ( Iíve attached a link below) https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=internal+p..._ts-doa-p_1_15
Old 08-02-2021, 01:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

PS you fish might have dropsy which is incurable, so you might have to get rid of the fish. 🙁

Good luck! Hope you can make him better !

Thanks
Old 08-02-2021, 05:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

You have similar restrictions on medications in canada to what we have here in the UK. Aquarium salt is a good treatment that is available where medication is not available. Will cover a broad range of issues.

1 tablespoon/5 gallons.

Is your tank planted? Some plants wont tolerate salt.

Tags
betta, ick, internal parasites, parasite, parasites, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com