Betta just sits at the bottom and won't move.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott1980

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Bettas in the just started laying on the gravel today. He won't move at all. In the last week, he would hang out low but was still moving. Now he just lays there. He's my first betta and fish. I've only had him for 2 months. He's also not eating much. What can I do?

I think it's the nature of the Betta. I've had a few and have never figured them out. I'm only able to keep them for about 3-4 months myself. I would suggest testing the water if you haven't already. In my case boB did the same thing. He started hanging out at the bottom, then leaning, then floating. It really sucked because there were no signs of infection and the water parameters were perfectly normal. I wish I could tell you more, but I can't. Sorry.

I talked to a fish guy at a local pet shop and he recommended "Parasite Clear" by "Jungle" brand. It looks like alkaseltzer when you drop it in. It may be to late but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've already got water sitting over night so I can do a partial water change in the morning, then I'm supposed to drop another tablet in. Frodo's tough, I think he'll pull through. I'll let you know how this stuff works out.

Scott

Please do let me know. I'd like to get another Betta and since I've lost all of them the same way, I'll keep it in mind if I have a problem again. Thanks! Hope your fish does well.

hey guys how you doing, well im sorry to hear about your fish health im more of a sw kinda guy but i have also experienced what you are. One of my clowns did the same and then parished, i feed garlic on a regular basis..havnet had the problem again garlic extreme by Kent JMO. Good luck!

You feed your betta garlic? I have never heard of this! Is it safe? What's the purpose? Ok, enough questions, lol. Basically - what!?

You feed your betta garlic? I have never heard of this! Is it safe? What's the purpose? Ok, enough questions, lol. Basically - what!?

Garlic Extreme by Kent...Used for prevention of parasites for ex: ich. Although just remember im a SW guy with some freshwater experience. I would recommend and see if Garlic Extreme is able to be used on FW. I would perform a 20% water change and use RO water. JMO Good Luck!

Well, I've done but 25% water change and dropped the second tablet in. He's acting much healthier. He swimming around a little more and going to the top more often. Still not eating though. It's good to see he's not burying himself in the gravel anymore. The garlic thing makes sense. My mother always put garlic in everything she cooked. It's anti viral or something. I guess it's sort of like taking a multi vitamin or something. I'll have to see if that can be used for Freshwater. I'll post if anything new happens with Frodo.

What are you feeding your betta? They are meat eaters and not any flake food will do for them...bloodworms are a good one....that is what I feed my betta and he loves it.

I was feeding the him BettaMin Tropical Medley. I tried to switch him over to Hikari Betta Bio-Gold but he completley refused. I may try the bloodworm thing.

By the way, Frodo is doing much better I think he's going to pull through. He still doesn't eat much though.

Back
Top Bottom