Betta lost 90% of color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crewless

Aquarium Advice Activist
o_O my betta has now lost so much color its pretty much looking like the white betta i bought o.o can anyone out there in fishy land help me ill inclose a picture o.o

Attachments

• image-388973640.jpg
    image-388973640.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 97
  • image-173536695.jpg
    image-173536695.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 106
What other symptoms are there? Look up fish TB, I know that's one illness in which fish can lose their color.

The betta looks so strange, wow

Its been going on for over a month bran new tank and had the betta in a small one gallon no filter nothing but rocks and a led light for 1month or longer then got him a new 5g tank with a preset heater iv treated him with fungas clear and it still got worse with time ..and yes the charcole filter was removed during treatment .....i just dont understand

All the betas I had that did that, died soon after. Never figured out what it was.

Sometimes bettas can just change colors too. You can look it up, it's kind of neat.
Don't give up hope yet, just keep his water clean, and see if that helps. Also, make sure his water is at least 80*F.

Crewless said:
Its been going on for over a month bran new tank and had the betta in a small one gallon no filter nothing but rocks and a led light for 1month or longer then got him a new 5g tank with a preset heater iv treated him with fungas clear and it still got worse with time ..and yes the charcole filter was removed during treatment .....i just dont understand

Was the tank cycled?

o_O it shure does you see i had an outside self sustaining. Fish tank lols best one i ever had plenty of alge and creyfish where the bottom feeders and minnows and a few other larger chubs all cought from a fresh water stream :) no filter no bubbles it worked great till fall and it droped below freezing and the tank cracked and the fish where literaly frozen o.o worst mistake ever lmao but yea this tank the one i have now does have a small amount of bacteria growing on the side of the tank o.o and im running off well water but i used walmart brand water purified in the gallon jugs o.o so about 3-5 dollars per water change at times 0.0 is that ok?

I don't think it is funny that all your fish died, I don't think it is funny that cycling a tank takes time. Bacteria are microscopic and you would not be able to see them growing on the side of your tank. You should invest in a testkit that measures ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates to see if the water is safe for your fish to live in. You may have to do daily water changes until the ammonia and nitrites are consistently at zero every day. Do you have a filter on this tank? If so what kind? Make sure you do not change the filter cartridge out, only rinse it in dechlorinated water. If you have well water then you can use that probably, although I would still add water conditioner to it just in case because it detoxifies heavy metals as well.

Omg my bettas color is returning yay im sooo happy but its comeing in a whole lot darker blue o,0

You really need to do some reading... the above post you made about how you kept a fish tank is totally torture to fish.

Please think about it, you're dealing with something alive, why is it ok to be ignorant about something and refuse to learn and fix your problems? You're going to kill any fish you get by doing this.

I'm sorry if I come off blunt, but I'm being honest. People on this forum won't be too nice if you're not even going to put any effort into your fish tank.

This is the second thread you've made, with people trying to help you, but you refuse to answer their questions or have any constructive conversations.

"Cycling sounds time consuming" Of course it does, you have to run the nitrogen cycle through a small amount of water. Fish in the wild are not exposed to these kind of conditions. It's not about just adding some water to a tank and saying "oh, fish live in water, this works!". Their waste builds up in the water.

Would you keep a cat in a 3'x3' enclosure for their entire life, never cleaning their litter box and ignoring them? It's torture..

I have to agree with the posts above. If you take on fish it's a serious responsibility that takes time, effort and (unfortunately) $$$. You have to educate yourself and commit to taking care of them properly. Otherwise they can die horribly and you end up eating the expense. For them to live in conditions like you described is like having someone living in a septic tank. They will survive for a while but eventually they will get sick and die.

That being said, here is a link to some of the more common betta diseases with pictures and treatment options that may help you out.

betta diseases

Wow you guys jumped the gun that fish tank was years ago as in im 21and i was about 10 when i did that and you know what my fishes color is comeing back on its own not because of any help i dont know why it went away but i cant obviously cylcle my tank with the fish already in it and it doenst take loads of money to take care of one betta fish ..........hes flaring up and hes zippig around and hes a very happy fish ........and for your information i read alot on cycleing .....

but i cant obviously cylcle my tank with the fish already in it and it doenst take loads of money to take care of one betta fish .........

Yes you can, a fish tank will "cycle" over time with a fish in it. You said you read a bunch about cycling, but this proves that you probably just scanned over the information.

Also, please don't take this in a rude way, but you should really try to establish some sentence structures and punctuation in your posts so we can understand what you're trying to say. You say we jumped the gun, and that you had that fish tank 11 years ago. How are we supposed to know this, your posts are hard to even understand.

A Betta doesn't cost a lot of money, but they do require a heater, filter and a cycled tank. A bowl is not a healthy option for a Betta (or any fish for that matter)

You're posting here for advice, right? Either take it or leave it, but arguing and trying to say that our advice is incorrect won't get you anywhere.

steez said:
Yes you can, a fish tank will "cycle" over time with a fish in it. You said you read a bunch about cycling, but this proves that you probably just scanned over the information.

Also, please don't take this in a rude way, but you should really try to establish some sentence structures and punctuation in your posts so we can understand what you're trying to say. You say we jumped the gun, and that you had that fish tank 11 years ago. How are we supposed to know this, your posts are hard to even understand.

A Betta doesn't cost a lot of money, but they do require a heater, filter and a cycled tank. A bowl is not a healthy option for a Betta (or any fish for that matter)

I agree, your fish may suffer in the meantime, but the waist will buildup, bacteria will grow and begin to convert that waist into nitrates.

You asked for advice. We gave it to you. I would suggest trying to cycle your tank, getting a filter and heater, and keep up on your daily water changes.

Back
Top Bottom