Betta - Marbling & Swimming Erratically

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stan.mich

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone, looking for any help in reviewing/diagnosing my new betta fish. I just got him 9 days ago, and he was doing great for the first seven days. Over the past couple of days I’ve noticed that he began to marble darker, and began to swim slightly more sharply and erratic then before.

Hoping you could help me identify if he has a Disease or issue or stress I could Mitigate for him. I think I see a shiny white spot on his right gill. However he had this shiny larger spot ever since I purchased them over nine days ago at the pet store, and his colouring has stayed the same until two days ago.

Note: I did go away for the weekend, and left him with a food pyramid by Nutrifin. this has been removed from his tank, but wondering if maybe this could’ve been a factor to make him sick?

See attached photos. I took pictures of both his left and right side

Although the tank is a new set up, approximately two weeks ago, the pH level seem to be within range and I did use a dechlorinator and stabilization liquids to establish a bio filter.

Please help if you can. Any advice would be really appreciated. If he sick I want to give him medicine ASAP. Even though I’ve only had them for a Little over a week, i’ve grown quite attached to his spunky personality.

Thank you
Michelle

Attachments

• C9595C4F-0CA9-4D2B-8255-FEBADA0C8FEC.jpg
    C9595C4F-0CA9-4D2B-8255-FEBADA0C8FEC.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 45
  • C74D7470-FA9C-4C79-9EDC-0D9B55BD41E9.jpg
    C74D7470-FA9C-4C79-9EDC-0D9B55BD41E9.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 41
  • CB327561-045A-4C88-A188-52506B03C79B.jpg
    CB327561-045A-4C88-A188-52506B03C79B.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 46
  • B3AC3D1B-700B-4AE3-8A50-F2829DF78242.jpg
    B3AC3D1B-700B-4AE3-8A50-F2829DF78242.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 34
What is your water change schedule?

Do you have a test kit to monitor water conditions?

Ideally. I would do 2 water changes right away. Using dechlorinated water. One 25-50% water change and then another 25-50% water change.

So you have a filter?

Here is some useful information... you need to have a cycled tank.

The nitrification cycle is basically a process which allows a beneficial bacteria colony to process food and fish waste, which causes ammonia, then nitrIte and then changes to NitrAte, all of which can cause toxic conditions for your fish.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

Thank you autumnsky For the advice. I done a 25% Water change, and this morning woke up to a small little bubble nest.

Since I’ve had him I have done two small water changes, probably 10 to 15%. And I do have a bio filter by whisper. I can’t remember the exact brand but II’ve attached a link to the filters I use: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/tetra-...VWsDICh2vnQ1wEAQYBSABEgIOE_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Let me know if you suggest something else if this filter is not ideal for betta fish.

I will be doing another water change later today with more dechloranated water.

He is still swimming slightly aggressively, so I will go out today to buy a kit as suggested, just to make sure that the water conditions are correct. Thank you for the links I’m going to use them to learn more.

Also, just a thought I had, but in my experience fish tend to change color/get more intense color after buying them due to different water conditions. Especially Betta sold in tiny cups off store shelves. Although, I will say the pictures you posted are really very dramatic, moreso than I would have expected.

Hi Skai,

Thank you for your comment. It's good to know that a betta changes color after transitioning to a new environment. It makes it a little less concerning that the change happened so quickly (9 days after transfer).

Note: I know my betta was in a cup for at least 2 weeks (because I went into the petstore twice and noticed him both trips - one of the reasons I bought him was because he was in the store that long)

I will keep this forum updated on my betta's progress and his appearance / moods post water changes and after I do a water testing this eventing.

Thank you all for your comments. Keep them coming if you have any other ideas or suggestions to help my Betta (aka Dimitri) :fish1:

Yeah, those cups are terrible for betta colors and fins. Once they get an actual tank with fresh water and filtration all the bettas I've got changed at least a bit. Still would check those water chemistry though. Hope it all works out.

Update: Betta swimming a bit better today. Not really as sporadic as yesterday, and some of the dark spots on my Betta seem to be turning cobalt blue... weird...

I've done a water test and found the following...

Nitrate: Safe - 20 ppm (mg/L)

Nitrite: Possible Stress - 2.0 ppm (mg/L)

Total Hardness: Hard - 200 (GH ppm)

Total Chlorine: Safe - 0

Total Alkalinity: Ideal - 140 (KH (ppm)

pH: between 7.2 - 7.8

Ammonia levels: Ideal - Safe

Any suggestions to reduce the nitrite levels / is hard water bad for a betta?

Sounds like your tank isn't fully cycled. A fully cycled aquarium with a properly sized filter should have enough bacteria to take care of the Nitrites. All you should see is Nitrates. Those links earlier should walk you through the rest of the process of cycling the tank.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the hardness of the water. For a betta tank with no plants or inverts hardness won't effect too much. Just keep consistent with the water changes. Some say that Bettas don't do well in hard water but then plenty of others csn even breed them in water harder than yours.

Edit: Another thought came to me. Genetic marbling. One of the more common colors for a Betta to turn is Deep Blue. I kind of don't think your Betta is sick at all and just marbled due to his genetics.

Keep up more water changes! You can do a 50% pwc and then another 50% pwc, doing 2 back to back helps the change of water be a bit more easily tolerated.

your note of this

"Nitrite: Possible Stress - 2.0 ppm (mg/L)"

Could be deadly. NitrIte should be 0 / Zero

You guys are amazing! I so appreciate your suggestions and feedback.

I will keep up with the daily water changes until things stabilize.

I will also take more photos of his color change. See how many of his dark spots convert into cobalt blue.

Note: I have been using this stabilization product Seachem Stability
https://amzn.to/38HdsjP

Is this not enough to help offset the Nitrite... is there a better product I should use? Or am I just not using enough (note: I'm going by the directions on the bottle)?

Back
Top Bottom