Betta Mystery Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biggerbetta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank parameters are stable with ammonia/nitrates around 0 and temperature near 78. Tank size is 5 gallon with aqueon quietflow filter (I have it baffled so the current is negligible). He's eating normally and everything points to a healthy fish, except this weird red color that looks vaguely like an infection. I omitted a few of the generic things to include here that didn't seem to be relevant (ie> diet)

I finally managed to get a good picture of what's concerning me, nobody elsewhere can seem to identify the problem. Note the red coloration around the body where the fins attach. Ragged fins are from tail nipping and fin rot that is under control. I'm just concerned he has septicemia or something more sinister that I'm not treating correctly. His gills are a little inflamed, but that seems to be residual from when he wasn't taken care of correctly (in a bowl, before I read about what they really need to be healthy)

Like I said, Jack (crappy name, right? I didn't choose it) wasn't well taken care of originally and had a lot of stressors. I changed tanks a few times, put him in un-cycled tanks, didn't have a heater for him for awhile, etc. Currently I am a fiddler, so the water changes aren't exactly stress-free. I poke around in the tank more than I should, probably. Maybe the problem is just a stressed out fish?
But now, things are stable and he's in a good environment, I can't figure out why this red coloration won't at least stabilize or recede (especially after antibiotic treatments that were for the fin rot). The lighting from the back lets you really see it, when there isn't light from behind him its less pronounced but you can still see the red line on his body where the bottom fin attaches to the main body.

Here's the picture (do people here mind imgur?)
Imgur

Honestly can't see what you are talking about.

Are they blood veins in the body to the fins...? See if you can get the pic closer to the problem spot.

If it is the fins being reddish near the body, is it just the color of the fish?

No, it's red area on the anal fin right where it attaches to his body. It's not the coloration of the fish, and it's expanded to both other fins where the attach to his body.

There is light from behind that passes through his fins and makes the red discoloration more visible, that's why I chose this angle.

Look closely at where fins attach to his body, that area (roughly a half centimeter strip) is more red than it should be.

Keep water conditions good - check your levels with your test kit - treating with furan 2 (jungle labs fungus cure) is often helpful especially if this is expanding.

You can treat for septicemia but would be careful about dosing him too much - small amount of aquarium salt (look online for this) - could be a small infection after fin rot.

Be patient - these things don't make daily progress they make weekly progress.

Back
Top Bottom