Betta people please advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got this betta around June 1st. I treated him for 7-10 days with betta revive. Followed it with 8 days of salt at 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon. I thought he had fin rot. These are his original pictures b4 starting the salt. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406396533.416624.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406396563.275471.jpg

These are his pictures now
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406396603.218873.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406396625.370621.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406396637.674166.jpg

Is he normal? I've looked at google pics and honestly can't tell if he's normal or not. I've still got him in 1 gallon QT with 100% WC daily. I'd like to move him to a 3 gallon permanent home with plants and moss.
( just noticed a water spot in one pic and the reflection of a black polka dot notebook. Sorry. I can take more pics. )

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

Is he swimming normally? He looks correctly functioning. (y)

His fins look REALLY nice. Especially the fourth picture... Very nice.

They are probably just like that and it is very enjoyable to see.

I would ease up on the water changes though. You could do with 25-50%. :)

Looks good to me though.

The betta is swimming correctly and eating correctly right?

Thank you so much for answering!!! I'll slow up on the WCs. I was doing the 100% b/c that's what the Betta 101 fin rot page advised and I honestly couldn't tell if he was normal or still had fin rot.

Yes, he eats well. He looks like he swims well. ( But in his 1 gal QT he doesn't have much room to swim). And, he always forgives me for putting him in a cup to do the water changes. He's very alert to his surroundings and is always begging for food.

I give him pin head size portion Repashy, 2-3 new life spectrum betta pellets, 2-3 FD blood worms in the morning hours. Then, 1-2 spectrum betta pellets in the evening OR 1-2 FD blood worms. ( he likes the blood worms best, but I think the pellets are healthier, so we change off.)

Thank you again!!! I'm so happy I can put him in a bigger tank! I have seeded bio media ready. I just have to order the tank. I'm debating between a really nice 3 gallon
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15493
and a 5.5 gallon from a LFS.

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

Im sure he'd love any bigger tank :) I have one in a 10 Gallon, only problem I came across was in finding an adjustable flow HOB filter to reduce the current in his tank.

Your betta looks very pretty though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1406403689939.jpg
    1406403689939.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 88
Yours is beautiful! The edges of his fins look like a straight line not angled out at the ribbed ( don't know correct term) part. That's what I thought mine would look like if he was totally healed. Mine still has like "spiky" edges.

Mine's supposed to be 1/2 moon. Is yours 1/2 moon? Does yours have any spiky edges anywhere?

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

Hes not got any spikes, but his container was listed halfmoon at Petco. I was mesmerized by the white stripe around the edge :-D

I love when petco and petsmart mislabel because once I got a rose petal for the price of a veiltail. :dance:

What is mine, b/c he has the small spikes? Or are the spikes the remnants of the fin rot that will fill in?

Perhaps, I should re-word my question. How do you recognize fin rot on a Betta? ( I totally stayed away from crown tails b/c I knew I would never know...)

Do betta need tank tops, if you have never taught them to jump? That aquarium I liked (above) had no top.

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

My betta book shows half moons with spikes. Probably normal.

Attachments

• 1406419525500.jpg
    1406419525500.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 1406419586383.jpg
    1406419586383.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 81
Another picture

Attachments

• 1406419676806.jpg
    1406419676806.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 100
I'd say it is a veil tale... It has the droop veil tails have and they usually have very lightly extended rays. :)

Thank you, both sooo much!!!

That's a nice book! What's the name of it?

I'm so happy Rubin is normal!!!

I think he looks part veil tail, too, and part half moon. Idk if it's possible to be both???

I'm really grateful for the thumbs up on him going into a real tank and out of quarantine. He'll be real happy, too!

He must have been in his cup a long time b/c he didn't like the 1 gallon at first; took him at least a week b4 he was normal. Now he's acting like he wants more room.

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

The book is called bettas, its in the fish section at petco

Haha greedy little guys. He should be content in that 5. :)

No problem. You could have a cross although they are rare as bettas are bred to be in a certain group and have a certain look. I think you just have a veil that looks a little half moony. Very well could be a cross though!

I would go for the 5.5 gallon. The more gallons the merrier.

I'm glad I could help green light the little guy! - Raymond

Heres a picture of my books, and the filter I mentioned in the IM.

Attachments

• 1406427256867.jpg
    1406427256867.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 1406427348668.jpg
    1406427348668.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 1406427423044.jpg
    1406427423044.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 76
Thank you! Your tank looks great! It gives me a good idea as to how many plants to purchase and place. I couldn't find your betta. Was he hiding in the cave? I copied the pic of your books to camera roll so that I'll have when I shop. Thanks!!!

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

He was probably getting some shut eye ;-) it's a hard life being a classy betta.

Attachments

• 1406433441385.jpg
    1406433441385.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 75
I think your Betta looks great, nice shape and interesting coloring. If he's eating well, that's a good sign. Have you tested the water at all, I know you're changing daily, I'm just curious.

So here's what I've learned on my Betta journey:
Tank lid is a must, they love to jump. The bigger the tank the better the Betta.
HOB filters are best (I use a Marina S20, it's easy to customize the filter media and adjust flow).
10 gallon tanks are easily accessorized (lids, lights, filters etc) as it is a very common size.
Betta look amazing with all that room to swim, and as they are an incredibly intelligent fish they appreciate the ability to explore a full and interesting tank.

The person who taught me about Bettas said never put them in less than a 5 gallon.

I recently moved my Betta from a 10 gallon to a 55 gallon, with a powerhead at one end and two HOB's at the other end. What I found is I have been able to introduce several different schools including neon, hatchet fish, loaches and corys. When I tried neon in the 10 gallon my Betta destroyed them, in a 55 gallon he shows no interest in the other fish at all. I learned this from my LFS; basically with enough room a Betta can live in peace with most other fish.

Enjoy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom