Betta showing signs of stress for over an hour... Alone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sachiel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know this isn't really a sickness, but it CAN led to all sorts of sickness!

So, anyway, here's the story... Get comfy and grab a bowl of popcorn....

Today I got 3 new bettas, 1 male, 2 female. The one female is outgoing and very active. She'll eat when I give her food, she'll swim to me when I come close to her quarantine tank, and everything. She's a darling. The male is very laid back. He'll swim around here and there, his fins aren't flared but not clamped to his body either. He looks very content and relaxed. (He's gorgeous too <3)

Anyway, it's Female #2 (waiting until I can get them out of QT and established into their tanks to name them, because that's when they'll show their personalities fully.) that I'm worried about. When I saw her at the store, she was a gorgeous green color and was just GORGEOUS. So, I picked her up too. Well, when we got in the car, she started showing the horizontal lines that indicate stress. I thought she might have been stressed by the other female (I had the male in the cup holder that sits lower than the seats. I couldn't even see him.) so I blocked sight of her while I went into the next pet shop to get some Maroxy. (They didn't have it -facepalm-)

When I got back in the car, she had that color again, the normal metallic green. So, I got settled in and made sure they were secured. When I looked at her, she was stressed again. I don't know if it's ME Who's stressing her out, but she hasn't changed to normal since. I have the male and Female #1 near each other (they can see each other) and they're not showing any signs what-so-ever of stress. Fem. #2 on the other hand is barring like crazy. I have them in 2 gallon tanks for now while I make sure they're all healthy enough to be put in the main tanks. I've checked the parameters, all are in good standing. I've tried everything for her. Giving her a while with the tank covered, giving her a hiding place, isolating her from other fish and everything.

She's not in a high traffic area... unless I'm high traffic and my room is the area of high traffic xD I usually just lay on my bed and get on the computer to do my work. I don't leave very often unless I need to go to the bathroom or get something to eat, which isn't often.

Right now she's swimming around on all levels of the tank, but those bars aren't leaving. I know the fish will need to get used to everything, but I find it weird how she's only relaxed once since I've gotten her.

Anyone have any suggestions? everything is perfect for the fish. They have room to swim, the water's warm and is good quality and everything. it just doesn't add up >.<

Like I said, she's completely isolated. The fish are on the other side of the room and she's got everything to herself. Once I get everyone settled into their permanent tanks, I'm planning on breeding them, but I can't until she settles down. I really can't if my male rejects Fem. #1.

So... Can anyone help? Sorry if I confused you ^^;

Give her some time. It's likely that her water wasn't kept clean and she probably wasn't too thrilled with being in a cup close to a bunch of other bettas before you got her. It hasn't been very long, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even if she was ill or had ammonia poisoning or something, the treatment would still be to just keep her water clean and give her time. It takes some bettas a few days to settle in.

Alright. I got her from PetSmart, and they "garantee" all pets have vet assurance.... not sure what standards the vets are under :rolleyes:

It's day 2 of her being home. being home, still showing barring. I'll just keep an eye on her for a while.

I say just give her time until she settles down. I agree with everyone else. Until she either shows signs of illness or the barring goes away, dont take any action.

Back
Top Bottom