Betta sick - amm spike, need help ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I understand the process a bit better now and appreciate you going through explaining that a bit more.
I didn’t know if I was dealing with ammonia or not bc they were similar symptoms at first. With process of elimination done, I knew to dose with meds at this stage, although I wish I’d done so sooner. To make sure we are on the same page, should I take the ammonia filter out while medicating? Carbon is already out before medicating. I was going to leave the ammonia filter in just until medicating was done but not sure after what you wrote.

He looks like he has a little bit of gill hyperplasia or something but his mouth doesn’t open as much and as heavy as he was breathing before. Just his gills flaring more then I’d like.

Since treating the 1st dose of Kanoplex, I’ll see how he’s doing Sunday morning as I dosed late last night (Thursday). He ate a few pellets yesterday too, so I won’t feed him til tomorrow. If he’s still on the bottom of the tank on Sunday, I’ll do a partial water change including partial gravel vacuum and give another dose.

I’ll also be treating the tank with a half cap of Stability. It was taking out the ammonia filter that I’m realizing made my tank cycle again. I know carbon can do that, but my foam and bio media are well established. I haven’t thrown any of them away and I always rinse in tank water in a bucket. So it had to be the ammonia filter backing up along with a bit of over feeding that caused this.

Needless to say, at least I’m learning :)
This is a video I just took of him breathing. The light reflection makes it hard to get a good view but I think you’ll be able to see him ok. Let me know what you think or if you feel to keep going as I am. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as im aware zeolite will absorb some medications in a similar manner carbon will. As said though, the ammonia filter should be removed regardless, as long term it will cause more issues than it solves. Take it out, throw it in the trash, save some money and never put it back. You dont need it. If you have an ammonia problem, resolve it by changing water.

Pretty much the same can be said for the stabilty. It wont be doing anything useful. Despite what it says on the bottle, it isnt very likely to help cycling the tank. Out of all the bottled bacteria products out there, stabilty probably has the poorest positive outcomes, and all of them are mostly useless and are just marketed to part you with your money. May as well use up what youve bought, but dont waste any more money on it.

Just to go back. The most likely issue for what you raised was dietary. Thats why i suggested the fasting and boiled pea. After that, bacterial infection which is why i then suggested a broad spectrum antibiotic. Its a process of going through the most likely causes one by one.

Also to clarify, removing the carbon cant cause your cycle to crash. Carbon has nothing to do with the nitrogen cycle. It provides surface area that beneficial bacteria can grow on, but so little its not worth considering.

On another note. We've asked for nitrite a couple of times and ive not seen a response. This could still be a water quality issue other than ammonia.

Before you re-treat the aquarium on Sunday, do a huge (80-90%) water change and gravel clean the substrate. Wipe the inside of the tank down. Clean the filter. This will remove any dead bacteria and other microscopic organisms and provide a cleaner environment for the medication to work in and the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

I took the ammonia filter out and I’m realizing it’s likely the ammonia filter left in too long plus a bit of over feeding is what caused this :( When I took the filter out, the water got cloudy with stuff in it.

I haven’t given you a nitrite reading bc I still have yet to locate a kit. I’m going out in a bit to see if Petco has one.
I’ll stop with Stability too seeing as how nitrates aren’t elevated and ammonia in check. I am going to add Vita Chem however. And I’ll see if he goes for a pea.

You’ll have to excuse me because I’ve only been in this hobby the last year and a half. I’m learning as I go, I wish I knew more but that’s why I’m turning to you folks. So while I understand it’s frustrating at times to deal with people like me that don’t have as much knowledge as you’d like, you will teach me how to do it properly so that I don’t have these issues anymore.

I’ll update tomorrow or if there are any changes.

This is him today. Skipped a day of feeding yesterday. He ate 2 pellets today. I still haven’t given him the pea bc pro shop said to wait. I went to my local pro shop and bought Vita Chem and put it in the water and the food pellets too and consulted with them.

Yesterday afternoon, I took out the ammonia filter. Thank you for that lesson (Both pro shops in my area agreed with you on that). I wish I’d known that info before I ever got that filter.

At my pro shops suggestion (I also consulted w/1other shop to make sure it’s ok), I did a pwc and re-dosed with Kanoplex at about 6 pm yesterday bc the ammonia filter was in from 11 pm to 1 pm the prior day, which is enough time to absorb some of the medication, as you mentioned.

He still breathing a bit heavy. He’s also aware I’m there and trying to help him, he’s responding to me, so I’m praying ��

If you notice anything I should be aware of from the picture, please comment. Otherwise, I’ll keep monitoring him and give him his 2nd Kanoplex dose on Monday

Attachments

• E2512B01-F2C9-4CEA-B38E-38EB2CE44D1B.jpg
    E2512B01-F2C9-4CEA-B38E-38EB2CE44D1B.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 5
He took a turn for the worse and stopped eating today. He knows I’m there, his eyes still follow me :(
but seems too weak to lift his head. Honestly, when I saw him this morning, I thought he’d already passed away. I tried to feed him 3x with very small pellets but nothing.

I did a pwc and gave him his 2nd Kanoplex dose this morning. Later in the day I added Melafix bc I am desperate. I also added a small amount of Garlic Guard to his water bc he wouldn’t eat. But I won’t do it again.

My water levels are good so I’m at a loss what to do besides ride it out until the inevitable. I can’t bring myself to take him out of the water just to watch him struggle and thrash in clove oil or freeze him. He’s the only fish in his tank. I’m just going to let him pass on his own if that’s what’s going to happen.

This is the worst feeling ?

Do not use colored pebbles on the sole. harmful to the aquarium. You can give live bait Artemia. strengthens immunity.

If oxygen is hard to get, wouldn't it make sense to throw an air stone or put it in a smaller container? that way it seems harder to get to the surface and get oxygen.
You can also add anubias leaves to the aquarium. they rest and do not get tired while taking oxygen from the surface.

Back
Top Bottom