betta sick help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbaygurl78745

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw a betta at walmart in a cup and its fins are like gone on the bottom and the top ones look as tho the got like greyish white mold on them. I bought him and heading to my lfs does any one know what this could be? Ive never had a sick betta n i couldnt just leave him there to die.

Jbaygurl78745 said:
I saw a betta at walmart in a cup and its fins are like gone on the bottom and the top ones look as tho the got like greyish white mold on them. I bought him and heading to my lfs does any one know what this could be? Ive never had a sick betta n i couldnt just leave him there to die.

He probably has really bad fin rot. What size tank are you going to put him in? Make sure it's heated. Typically with good clean water they'll heal up, rarely do you have to add any meds.

Thats good news i have him in a 10 gallon with a sponge filter ( because he got cought on the intake last night of the hob filter) and it has a heater for a 30-40g tank. He was swimming around more this morning yay.

Glad he is doing better. With an oversized heater, just keep an eye on the tank to make sure it doesn't get too warm (over 80 F). Keeping the water pristine will help heal up his fins. Good luck!

Thats good news i have him in a 10 gallon with a sponge filter ( because he got cought on the intake last night of the hob filter) and it has a heater for a 30-40g tank. He was swimming around more this morning yay.

He'll LOVE the 10g. His color will also change over the next few days, mine both darkened when I put them into their 10g tanks. He should be fine if you keep the water clean. I recently got 4 Females who have varying degrees of fin damage, I've been doing 50%+ water changes every other day in the 10g they share & everyone seems to be pretty well healed up, I've had them 2 weeks now. My Veil Tail has a little fin damage from the filter intake but its not too bad, you can always put a pre-filter or pantyhose on it if you want to go back to using it. Keep us posted, would love to see now pics & then pics in a couple of weeks to see how he's progressed.

I will get pics wen i get home. I have the heater set at 82 i will change it back to 80 wen i go home on lunch . And i have a tempature gadge so i will keep an eye i that as well.

ForumRunner_20121026_200035.jpg Here he is. ( i put him in the breeder box to get the pic bc since this morning he's perked up and dont stay still lol) i have another one that looks just like him but has a lil red in him.the lil greish white spots have fallin off him yay :)

So now i have my all blue, a blue wit red, a red with green, jus need a white and green, and purple lol they all have there own 10g othe r than my first blue one he shares a 10 with a dg happily.

Jbaygurl78745 said:
Here he is. ( i put him in the breeder box to get the pic bc since this morning he's perked up and dont stay still lol) i have another one that looks just like him but has a lil red in him.the lil greish white spots have fallin off him yay :)

So now i have my all blue, a blue wit red, a red with green, jus need a white and green, and purple lol they all have there own 10g othe r than my first blue one he shares a 10 with a dg happily.

Bless his little fish heart his fins look bad. Glad to hear he's perked up even more. I have a CT that looks like that too. I hope he keeps improving, sounds like he's got a good home so he should do really good.

Some time since i got home he's blowing little bubble clusters. I hope this is good sign ive seen mine blow a couple bubbles but never like clusters of them. Gunna go look it up.

Jbaygurl78745 said:
Some time since i got home he's blowing little bubble clusters. I hope this is good sign ive seen mine blow a couple bubbles but never like clusters of them. Gunna go look it up.

That's a VERY good sign. They say they make a bubble nest when they're happy.

Yes i found that on my research. When he's all healed n better for like 6 mons i think id like to try and breed them i think it would a cool to watch them grow and my lfs said they would love a new selection of bettas ( they are expanding there store next year). So thats my next researching project. Have you ever breed them? I hear its tricky

Jbaygurl78745 said:
Yes i found that on my research. When he's all healed n better for like 6 mons i think id like to try and breed them i think it would a cool to watch them grow and my lfs said they would love a new selection of bettas ( they are expanding there store next year). So thats my next researching project. Have you ever breed them? I hear its tricky

I have not. I know someone on here is very knowledgeable about it & if I remember correctly its Blert.

I have betta stress coat in there already. He's doing good he naps on the plant in the corner. And he's eating great! And his fins are looking better. Cant wait for them to start growing back for him. He is gunna be a beauty.

In my humble opinion... Breeding a Betta from a Walmart is not good for the species as a whole. Buying a Betta from a chain store is also very bad for the species as a whole because you are rewarding the corporation for the continued abuse of their livestock. Buying from a breeder or from a local fish shop is better for the lives of all the other fish you are not going to "rescue"..

I'm so sorry to sound condescending because I promise you are not alone! I have made the same mistake and bought a cup Betta and if I had only understood the market of fish livestock more I would have spent my dollars more wisely, bought a healthy fish with good genetics and supported the merchants who are responsible with the animals they sell.

On a different note, the fish you have, if it survives, is already too old to breed and the fry will have defects.

Go to a Betta forum, ultimate Betta is very useful and you will be treated nicely if you do decide to buy a breeding pair of healthy, young Bettas and breed at home.

marsh said:
In my humble opinion... Breeding a Betta from a Walmart is not good for the species as a whole. Buying a Betta from a chain store is also very bad for the species as a whole because you are rewarding the corporation for the continued abuse of their livestock. Buying from a breeder or from a local fish shop is better for the lives of all the other fish you are not going to "rescue"..

I'm so sorry to sound condescending because I promise you are not alone! I have made the same mistake and bought a cup Betta and if I had only understood the market of fish livestock more I would have spent my dollars more wisely, bought a healthy fish with good genetics and supported the merchants who are responsible with the animals they sell.

On a different note, the fish you have, if it survives, is already too old to breed and the fry will have defects.

Go to a Betta forum, ultimate Betta is very useful and you will be treated nicely if you do decide to buy a breeding pair of healthy, young Bettas and breed at home.

Ok i understand that im not a walmart buyer for fish but felt bad for him. The only thing im confused about it how do you know how hold he is?

Also an update. After we lost power since monday he got another like greyish ball im hoping its just because the water got cold please dnt yell at me i was not financially able get a generator. But its now number 1 on my christmas list :-(

ForumRunner_20121101_090823.jpg

He always says good morning to me. His tank is right next to my chair in the living room and when ever i sit down he comes up from and talks to me lol.( i say this bc his lil mouth is always gabbing away haha)

Back
Top Bottom