Betta Sickness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

violetthunder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my Betta for a little under a week and I noticed today that his head has some white spots on it. He's been laying around on the bottom of the tank and on the silk plants in the tank. What's wrong with him and how should I treat it?

He's in a ten gallon tank with a Top Fin 10 filter and the temperature stays at 77 degrees. There's also a red platy and three silver tipped tetras in the tank with him.

I just did ammonia and pH tests today and everything's normal. 0 ppm for ammonia and 7 for pH.

For his diet, I vary it from day to day between flakes, Betta pellets, and once a week he gets bloodworms.

I last cleaned the gravel one and a half weeks ago and I did a 25% water change at the same time.

Hello there,

I am new to this forum but not new to betta. While I don't know the name of the exact disease or aliment I can tell you how I take care of 99% of them.

As far as how to fix it, there are a few routes you can take:

Pharmacology:
They sell all types of "betta fix" drugs at pet stores and I have had mild success with temporarily separating my betta from the tank (in a cup or small bowl) for a few days and dosing those to them.

However that can get expensive and I only recommend it as a last resort.

Natural:
I first recommend separating the betta in small bowl or cup and change the water daily. I find the water changes eventually help 90% of my ill betta cases. I may try to add a little aquarium salt as well.

I would recommend also doing a 50% water change in the tank once the betta is out. Allow time for the tank to re-balance before re-adding him. Be sure to add aquarium salt.

Thanks for the advice, but he's no longer with us. He passed this morning.

Back
Top Bottom