Betta swollen for almost 2 months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amy2014

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a betta who has always been lively, and continues to be, but has had a swollen abdomen for nearly two months now. She's nearly transparent she's so swollen, and she has red streaks near her gills. Her swelling is uneven; One side of her abdomen has two lumps and the other has only one. I've noticed slight pineconing.

I suspect dropsy, although I'm not sure what has caused it, as all of her other sorority sisters are just as lively as she. Water parameters are all perfect.

I've been all over forums and discussions and articles alike, all telling me what I don't really want to hear - it is probably too late for my betta girl. My question for you is... Is it worth it to pursue treatment? I am a giant sap; I look at her and tear up because it hurts to think of cutting her life short when she's so active and seemingly happy. But I also don't want her to be in pain, or end up bursting in a tank with her 3 sisters.

I'll take any and all advice - miracle cures, magic spells, recipes for salt baths, good antibiotic/food suggestions, suggestions to prevent this in her sisters, and even humane euthanasia techniques.

Thank you in advance from my Chunky and I.

I hadn't even considered that. She only lives in a tank with three other females and has never been around a male -- so is being egg bound a real possibility? What could I even do for her?

Side note: I think the pineconing I thought I saw yesterday was a trick of the light because I genuinely don't see anything now.

Being egg bound seems to be pretty common if you search it. One link said it was difficult to "cure" as in reality she is cured when the male squeezes them out of her.She never naturally expels them....

Aren’t bettas supposed to absorb them normally? Do I have to get a male betta now?

That looks a lot like the couple of angelfish I had go. I thought going back to smaller feed pellet and better quality useful but no cure.

Well crap... I just got her in her own tank today, just to eliminate any stress she may be under from the more aggressive female in the sorority tank. She seems just as active and happy to see me. I bought some better quality food that I'll be starting to feed her tomorrow once it arrives. Hopefully she turns out okay - I'll post updates here.

It’s alright, I’m trying fasting her - I normally only feed all of them once every other day but I’m gonna go a longer now and see if she looks any better. She seems the same (active and chunky) today, and it’ll be her 2nd day without food. I’ve heard up to a week is okay?

I can’t think of anything else to try. And up to a week. Perhaps others will have had some success. None of mine made it.

I got nothing. Looks pretty bad like a tumor or several ,but if she is happy and active who knows?
I have many fish and despite all good advice when it comes to how or if to treat a fish I always do what is best for me as a fish keeper. Sometimes it is not worth trying to cure some things. Often with fragile fish a mis treatment can be its last.

I have many fish and despite all good advice when it comes to how or if to treat a fish I always do what is best for me as a fish keeper. Sometimes it is not worth trying to cure some things. Often with fragile fish a mis treatment can be its last.

I agree with that. My goal is to let her be back in her sorority tank, but I understand that that may not happen (especially since she may be gone for a while). I’ve been told that when you shine a flashlight on them you can sometimes see the eggs - I see nothing. I still suspect dropsy or septicemia despite the lack of pineconing, so I started her on kanaplex yesterday and we’re a few days into fasting. Hopefully it helps her. Like you said, I just have to do what I believe is best for me and my fishie.

Thank you all for your help!
I’ll continue to post updates on Chunky here.

Back
Top Bottom