Betta Tail Fin Shredded, Fin Rot or What???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debs131313

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two bettas (Romeo & Julio), and they were recently transferred from one gallon tanks to 3 gallon tanks (they each have their own tank). The water levels have been good and have not performed any water changes yet.

I noticed that Julio’s tail fin looked shredded, so I took out the silk plant that seemed to be the only thing that could be causing this. I woke up this morning and more of his fin is gone.

The only thing left in the tank at this time are the heaters, filters, leaf hammocks, thermometers, gravel, smooth rocks and smooth white cave rocks with holes in it which they have had for months now with no problems.

They are both blowing bubble nests. They both have a great appetite. Both of their tanks became cloudy above the water but seem to be better now.

I turned off the heaters two days ago trying to figure out what is going on (they have never had heaters before and I think the water is warm enough at this time – about 72 degrees).

These are my first fish and do not know what is going on … what is shredding the tail fin, or is it fin rot, or what? And what can I do to help him?

I tested the water levels:
Romeo: pH – 7.8, Alkalinity – 180, Hardness – 150/300, Nitrite – 0, Nitrate – 20
Julio: pH – 7.8, Alkalinity – 120, Hardness – 150/300, Nitrite – 0, Nitrate – 20

I really, really need some direction on how to help my buddies. Please advise. I am waiting anxiously for a reply. Thank you.

Will try to post pictures, but wanted to get this post out quickly so I can help Julio as soon as possible!

Attachments

• julio's shredded fins 10.jpg
    julio's shredded fins 10.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 88
Maybe his fins are getting sucked into the filter intake if not it must be fin rot right. I keep my betta temp at 78. I just got a black diamond cichlid that had fin rot from the pet store and I used Pimafix Antifungal Fish Remedy. It worked great and she started to grow her fins back after a week. It's also all natural so it wont hurt to try. Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom