Betta with finrot... HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok... My Betta was a rescued cup Betta. He had a bit of finrot when I got him, but it was getting better. Now his tail looks just shredded! Water parameters are good, he still acts ok, his fins are just really bad. His only tank mates are three black skirt tetras and he's in a ten gallon. Haven't witnessed any aggression from the tetras... HELP! could he die from this? I can set up an emergency QT if needed, but I really don't want to lose him, as he's my favorite fish!!!

Hmmm, Well he won't die unless he gets a secondary infection, or if it gets to his body. Depending on how bad it is you could treat with something like stress coat, or others have used Melafix. Usually the fin rot is caused by water condition... so something must not be right...

API Bettafix is a great product for finrot issues, IME. I don't think salt is necessary, as some would suggest. If it's not too bad, you can just do frequent water changes and let it heal naturally but if he's real tattered I would isolate him and do a round of bettafix.

Make sure that the black skirts are not nipping his fins first. That is often a favorite pastime they have. If that is ruled out, do as suggested above.

They aren't touching his fins... And he's had this since I rescued him 2 weeks ago. It's just recently gotten worse. Going to pick up the melafix and some aquarium salt, and I'll go ahead and put in some stresscoat just to be safe. He survived the night, and doesn't look worse... But he doesn't look better either. My parameters are spot on though.

Well if that's what you want to use, but in my experiences with my 11 bettas, those medications aren't necessary. A one week round of bettafix usually does the trick, and is less harsh on the betta. Salt really should be avoided unless there is an infection. JMO.

siva said:
Well if that's what you want to use, but in my experiences with my 11 bettas, those medications aren't necessary. A one week round of bettafix usually does the trick, and is less harsh on the betta. Salt really should be avoided unless there is an infection. JMO.

But fin Rot is an infection... And I have some other fish with some fin loss (they nip among themselves... Not the Betta) I also wanted some of that studf to have on hand too.

Oh when you does Melafix make sure to do a HALF dose. Bettafix is watered down Melafix. :F

Darn. Wish I'd read that sooner. I just put in the full dose. He actually looked like he liked it! I think it stopped the pain, if there was any. I'm doing daily 25% water changes to keep salt from skyrocketing. Should I be doing bigger changes?

Well I would pull out half the water and dilute it if I were you... I really don't know about the salt. But DO NOT use the salt longer than ten days it can cause their kidneys to shut down...

Saltypuppy said:
Well I would pull out half the water and dilute it if I were you... I really don't know about the salt. But DO NOT use the salt longer than ten days it can cause their kidneys to shut down...

Ok, the I think in that case, I'll treat with salt and maracyn for five days, then just Maracyn for the next two. I'll also do 50% water changes before adding a new dose of salt... Correct?

You would only add what you take out as far as I know. So if you add a full dose of salt and remove half the water than you put in a half dose of salt. I don't know much about salt treatment though...

+1

I don't even use the salt.

Well... I'll do a 50% water change before I add more salt, and then add half the dose. They all seem to be doing great, and the bettas fins are definitely healing.

That's great to hear. Just make sure to do your water changes after you are done with treatment to get the salt level lowered again. Keeping it high for too long can also create other troubles.

Ya. I'm trying to do all the treatment EXACTLY 24 hours apart... Don't know if it matters... But it makes me feel better. 2 minutes!!! Lol.

Back
Top Bottom