Betta with Growth on its side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jewel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Update: See pictures below regarding this topic. I have a betta that has a white growth on its side near the base of his tail--it is about the size of a pea now--started as a small wound about 2 months ago. I had been medicating the tank with Melafix but the growth keeps getting bigger--obviously wrong medicine. It is not fuzzy like fungus. I now have him in a 1 gallon tank by himself (was in a 5gal with other fish). The LFS I deal with says it might be tuberculosis(?) and could make me and my daughter ill(?)--I had shown him a picture of it. The betta seems fine, is eating, and color is good. Any idea what the growth is or what medicine to use to heal him or is it too late?

Last edited:
Any chance you can get a picture?

Besides Melafix, you can try an antibiotic such as Maracyn, Maracyn-Two, or Tetracycline.

TB in fish is near impossible to diagnose and the chances of you contracting it is also near impossible. If you want to be safe, just don't put your hands in the tank if you have open cuts and don't drink the water. ;)

A picture would definitely help. It could be a cyst or a tumor, in which case, medicines aren't going to do anything.

I would doubt it is TB. TB has more subtle symptoms, the fish would appear as if it was not eating and its "gut" was getting incredibly small. There is no identifiable marks for TB.

I have to speak up against using melafix with bettas. Usually don't do well with melafix. Try one of the other meds DT has recommended.

That would be most helpful. DT has extensive experience with sick fish. God knows she has helped me out many times.

Sick Betta w Growth - Pic Added

Hopefully I have done this right now and you can see the pic of the sick betta with a growth on his side:

I can see the pic and I would treat with Maracyn II. From the pic it seems to have a bit of fungus on it. It may be caused by a bacterial infection.

Back
Top Bottom