Betta with large wound. (Pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello friends,

I have a betta that has for the two year I have had him, always had a strange growth or deformity under his rear fin. It stayed small and always looking the same for two whole years. I just assumed it was some unusual feature he had.

Very recently, it seems to have grown quite large and now it looks to be breaking the skin and bleeding.

three questions:

1. What is it?

2. How do I stop this from spreading further?

3. will my fish have problems defecating? ( I really don't know where thats located on a betta.) :?

note: the wound is protruding from his body and not eating away at it.

Attachments

• monet_wound.jpg
    monet_wound.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 141
Hi again Rocket Season,
Wow, that is an unusual deformity. You say it was something he always had, but recently became infected, or swollen/bleeding somehow? Hmmm. I don't know what it is or why it has become a problem now. The only thing I can think of it that as he gets older, his natural defenses to whatever this is are weaker. I would treat with a combination antibiotic/fungal med just in case. Can you see visible parasites on the wound? If not, go with the antibiotic/fungal med. Is he in a tank by himself? I guess a tankmate didn't injure him since you said he always had it. Don't worry, he can still go to the bathroom. His anal opening is behind the pelvic fins (the long, skinny ones).

Some meds I would try are Mardel Maracyn 1 or 2 (or both), TriSulfa, and MarOxy; Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Triple Sulfa and Fungus Cure; or Jungle Fungus Eliminator. With the Mardel and AP brands, make sure to read the label to see if you can use the meds together. I'm pretty sure you can, but it's been awhile since I've used some of them. I hope this helps him!

That does not look pretty but it won't affect his ability to defecate. defecation occurs just before the anal fin right behind the stomach.

Is it possible it's a true fungus? True fungus is pretty rare and only occurs on dead tissue. Perhaps this is dead or dying tissue we are seeing.

What are your water parameters?

thanks. I am using Maracyn 2. we will see what happens. I am also feeding him the same anti-bacterial food I was feeding my other one with the bloated belly. He has no tankmates, (except a medium sized swordplant.) so whatever this is wasn't caused by one of them.

It seems that it has stoped spreading and looks like it could possibly be healing back up. but that may just be wishful thinking.

Parameters are normal.

I'll keep you posted, thanks again!!!!

Back
Top Bottom