Betta's tail that has slits from the tip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed this morning that my betta's tail has these little slits coming from the back about 1/4 of an inch long.

I've dealt with fin rot on fish before but never a betta. It dosent help with none of my other fish having long fins and betta's naturally having the "tear" affect on the fins.

I could spot fin rot on my loach but there in hiding at the moment.

It sounds like tail rot to me. I would do a water change, throw some salt in the tank, and possibly a bit of MelaFix. The salt will keep fungus at bay, and other nasties, if you perfer meds you could throw some PimaFix in the water too.

I just tested my pH and its pretty much spot on 8.0

I added half a tablespoon of salt aswell.

I dont have an ammonia, nitrates and nitrites test kit.

Its only on my betta tho, will it spread? i take it its a killer? how long will my betta have if its not treated?

How long has it been since your last water change? Most bettas can fight off fin rot infections with the powerful effect of clean water. ;) If its been a while since you've done a water change, I'd say that's your best option to start with.

After that, an anti-fungal medicine will work. Jungle makes a Fungus Clear tablet that kicks butt on fin rot. Melafix isn't the best to use with bettas because they are especially sensitive to it.

Keep up on water changes, and things will be fine. :)

Best of luck.

My last water change was only 2 days ago! When i did my water change i added 2 plants and 3 danios. I cleaned my filter aswell!

Over here in England they dont sell melafix or any manufacturer of medicine that i have been recomended by any american lol so anyone on the website really.

I would start doing Daily water changes. My betta is getting over fin rot, and I think the best thing I could have done for him was I started changing some of the water every day.

is it the tank in your sig? the danios are known to nip... could that be what's happening? i couldn't imagine an infection only getting to one fish in the tank.

Yes Willow it is. I thought it was strange that only 1 fish has it aswell.
But how hardy are bettas? i know danios, loaches and pleco's are super hardy, well mine are i dont like knowing that from expierience. lol

It is definately fin rot! he has it on all of his fins!

My danios have never nipped anything they've been too scared to. They only nip each other.
Saying that i did add 3 danios and i noticed that they all sudenly got confident and my fattest most colourful and one with most extreme fins started to chase all the other danios and neons. Nothing else. Definately not the betta.

Im gonna buy some fin rot medicine and do regular water changes i think.
If i do... How long should i leave the med in the tank before i change the water?
Ive had this problem before and lost my 2 neon dwarf gourami's.

Please help me from this happening again.
Thanks.

In my experience, fin rot is not usually a disease that progresses too quickly, unless its a severe case, and bettas' tails do generally regrow very quickly, in good water conditions.

As for the medication, usually the have instructions on the package that instruct how long to treat. If there are no instructions, my suggestion is this: keep treating for 2 - 3 days after you start to see regrowth (usually clear-ish, if you are unfamiliar) of the tail, to make sure that all of the infection has been killed. But, regular water changes are the best thing you can do for your fish. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom