Beware Bettas and the Fluval Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cturrentine

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After at least 8 female bettas dying in my 6 gallon Fluval Edge I believe
the problem is the small opening for air.
The male seems to be o.k.. But, when I took him out and just had 4 or 5 females
they started dying. I checked the water and everything was perfect.
Anyone else have this problem?:ermm:

Were the 8 females in the same 6 gallon tank? That's to small for a group of females and also did you cycle the tank before adding them? Welcome to AA by the way :)

no, usually three at a time. The edge had been set up for at least 6 months and all the elements tested perfectly.
so you will know, i have had aquariums for 30 years and I have a large 65 gallon with 4 discus and a pair of mated angels. This is a new experience for me, (losing fish), at least so many and all female bettas. Really think there is not enough breathing room in the Edge.

I haven't done much research on it but I was sure you needed at least a 20g to do a Betta sorority because of territorial issues. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Many people keeping a Betta in the edge lower the water a bit so there is an air layer at the top of the tank. At least this is what I have noticed.

That's what I was getting to. I believe you were seeing aggression issues between your females due to the small tank.

Everything fishontherock said is true. There is too many bettas crammed into that small of a space.

bettas in the fluval

Actually, I replied to him and told him I lost 8 females but not all at once.
I usually had 3 females in the 6 gallong Fluval Edge.

What we are trying to say is that it is too small for more than one female.

I agree, three females in a 6 gallon tank are going to fight. I had three in a 20 gallon and they killed each other.

I don't plan to try that again. Too upsetting!
Now I have the original set up that worked.
1 male betta, 2 guppies and 2 corys.
Pretty sure the Fluval Edge is 6 and 1/2 gallons and it is long.
This combo has worked just fine.

I have 3 female bettas mixed in with the stock of my 150 community and they still get territorial with each other

Back
Top Bottom