Bilateral lumps on comet goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My comet goldfish which I’ve had for less than a year, recently seems to have developed a weird shape in its body. It’s almost like 2 lumps on each side of his body. I thought that it was maybe because I was over feeding him since the other goldfish in his tank was I’ll and not eating her part of the food. (The other goldfish had an injury which ended up getting infected with a fungus. I treated with methylene blue and performed a water change, but i believe that it was too late as she is getting worst) any ideas what my goldfish with these lumps may be experiencing? He has no injury and is acting normal. However, the past 3 days, he has had large poops. (Just concerned about these bilateral/equal in size lumps and would like to help him before it is too late.)

Any input would be appreciated!

Thank you

Attachments

• 88122473-2BD6-4754-BC92-D850EFB03244.jpg
    88122473-2BD6-4754-BC92-D850EFB03244.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Usually he will have one long one that isn’t clear, and then he will have more through the day that are that clear stringy type. I am feeding him Nutrafin Max Goldfish Flakes

Air bubble white stringy looking poop can mean constipation, and thin string poop can mean internal problems. One which would be suspect would be internal parasites.

Have you ever fed peas before. You can try that, for 3 days to help clear out system.

Are you feeding only one time a day?

You can feed the boiled cooked interior of the round garden peas. Canned - people do use ones with salt but you might try the no salt added canned peas. Fresh or frozen also works.

It might also have a tumor. It is hard to know with a pic.

As for the bumps, are they with holes, bumpy, white, fuzzy, erosion, etc.?

Thank you for your reply!

The poop doesn’t seem to have air bubbles inside. I tried feeding him peas for the last three days (poop was green so I know he cleared himself out). He still continues to have long see-throughish poop though. I feed once a day.

As for the bumps, they haven’t gotten better. One of them has actually seemed to have opened up and he now has this white (fungus?) puss coming out. This seems to be similar to what happened to my last fish that died. I attempted to treat her with methylene blue (I was told to apply it directly on the affected area for 3 days). Any ideas on what else I could try or what this could be? Sadly, since my treatment last time didn’t work for my other fish, I have a feeling I will end up losing this little guy as well.

If things do not work out and things get worst, (I don’t want him to have to be in pain and suffer), do you have any other suggestions on how to humanly end his suffering? I researched that clove oil works, but I cannot seem to find any... and I don’t have the stomach to knock him out and cut him in his head. :(

Any suggestions is appreciated to help my little friend out!

Thank you!

Try feeding smaller amount but 2x per day. They really don't have a stomach and like to eat all day long. That is really a side note, as the real issue is the bulge.

I don't actually know, let me say that first.

What can be suspect is an internal infection maybe of parasites. Was the fish flashing, scratching, it could be worms

In checking API General Cure or PraziPro indications of a swollen abdomen can indeed be infestation but you could use the General Cure it has deworm med and med for skin and bacterial infection/wound healing.

PraziPro - Hikari Sales USA

If you are near a farm store you can purchase Liquid Goat Dewormer which is Fenbendazole, excellent at killing worms internal parasites.

https://www.chewy.com/api-general-c...c-MpLnaO1ZiVsXRGa_9EM5XC4bAaiXZxoCKvIQAvD_BwE

But you will need to treat the wound as well I think.

Next post about clove oil.

Call the local store pharmacies. Ask if they have PURE clove oil, the cheaper ones are likely artificial clove. The kind you need is with CLOVE and oil, no alcohol.

Our local pharmacy can usually get it in 2 days, Safeway, which I think is also Tom Thumb, Vons and others. Just make sure they get you the right one.

Health food stores too will have it.

Back
Top Bottom