Bio filter safe parasite med?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesselav1233

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I believe my angel has a parasite (lethargic, not eating, white stringy poo) anyways anyone know of a good med for parasites that won't destroy my biological filter? Thanks in advance.

Also he's in a 55 gal tank with 2 other Angels and some other fish should I quarantine or treat the main tank I guess if I quarantine him bio filter safe meds wouldn't be a necessity but I figure if he has it others have been exposed and should be treated as well.

I didn't think that parasite meds affected the bio system. I think it's primarily certain antibiotics that will kill of all the bacteria. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this...

I'm pretty sure bit double check me on that!! The reason u take ur filter out is bc the carbon removes the medication. I am pretty sure there is nothing in the fungus tabs that kills good bacteria

I'm pretty sure bit double check me on that!! The reason u take ur filter out is bc the carbon removes the medication. I am pretty sure there is nothing in the fungus tabs that kills good bacteria

Actually, quite a few of the fungus meds (such as Jungle fungus tabs) contain antibiotics. Antiparasite meds vary- true wormers that contain praziquantel or fenbendazole or levamisole wont harm biologic filtration. Some wormers contain metronizadole (functions as a gram positive antibiotic) which may or may not affect good bacteria.

Jungle antiparasite tabs (for your water) are a good place to start- they are easy to find & inexpensive & have a good mix of deworming agents. Feeding an antiparasite med food is the best option but if your fish is not eating, then treating the water is the next best option. Just keep an eye on your parameters while treating and remove any 'active' (read- new) carbon if you have it. If you have carbon & its been in there for a few weeks or longer, dont worry about it. Hope this helps! :)

Yeah but I didn't see any antibiotics listed on the fungus tabs...are you de-worming or treating for fungus??

You mean Jungle fungus tabs, correct? Nitrofurazone & furazolidone are both antibiotics. Potassium dichromate is an antifungal. Most fungus meds contain antibiotics because the majority of the time people believe they are dealing with fungus when its actually a bacterial infection (ie, the misnomer 'mouth fungus'). Most 'true' fungal infections are secondary to an already present bacterial infection as well.

Sorry Jesse for getting off topic! Give the jungle antiparasite meds a try & keep us posted!

Tank Parasites

I believe my angel has a parasite (lethargic, not eating, white stringy poo) anyways anyone know of a good med for parasites that won't destroy my biological filter? Thanks in advance.

Hello Jess...

Parasites live in most tanks. They can live in a dormant state for many months, if not years. When a fish becomes stressed for whatever reason, mostly it's from poor water conditions, the fishes coat can develope weak areas where parasites can infect them.

I don't believe chemicals are good. They can further stress your fish and typically aren't good for aquatic plants. So, if you're positive your fish has an infection, I'd recommend adding a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt (no table salt) to every 5 gallons of your water change water. Raise the temperature in the tank to about 80 degrees and add an HOB (hang on the back) filter to your tank.

Start an aggressive water change routine. Change half the water in the tank every three to four days. The combination of pure, treated tap water, warmth and salt will generally help.

If you can, keep the lighting low in the tank and the room. Fish parasites locate a host by site. Also, when you change the water, do a good job of vacuuming the bottom, but avoid getting the vacuum too close to the plants. You don't want to damage the roots. Cut back on feeding. If your fish has lost it's appetite, you don't need extra food in the water to foul the water chemistry. Fish don't need to be fed more than a couple of times a week anyway and just what will be consumed in a minute or two.

Follow these steps for two to three weeks. This approach is completely natural, there's nothing that will harm your fish or plants.

Good luck.

B

But not all antibiotics attack your bba in you tank or is this also not correct??

Nitrifying bacteria are gram negative. Unfortunately, most fish bacterial illnesses are gram negative as well. The larger majority of fish antibiotics are gram negative. Antibiotics do not distinguish between 'good' and 'bad' bacteria. When treating with any med, parameters should monitored daily- without healthy water, fish meds are limited in efficacy. Hope this helps a bit!

Back
Top Bottom