Birthing or Dying - Can't Decide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithw14

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got some fancy guppies today from the pet store. Several of the females were already pregnant. Put them in the aquarium this afternoon.

Just went in to check on them - one of the females is lying on its side on the bottom of the tank next to the glass, breathing pretty heavily. I tapped on the glass, no movement. This is a planted aquarium and there is water agitation via the power filter return.

Parameters as follow:

PH: 6.8
Temp: 78.5
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: Undetectable
Nitrate: 20 ppm

Is she about to give birth, or dying? Any clue?

Thanks!!!!!

-------UPDATE------

Alright, well, I went back in after posting and she had moved and was now sitting on a piece of cucumber makeshift weighed to the bottom. I pulled on the string to lift it up and she started swimming again like normal.

So I am guessing this is labor? Is now the time to put her in the breeding net?

-William

Ammonia should be 0, I would do a pwc to get rid of the ammonia. Also a water change can help bring on birth. What size tank and what other inhabitants? If she is that close to giving birth, more stress may cause her to have problems giving birth. You can put her in the breeder net but keep an eye on her. If she seems more stressed you may have to release her and try and catch the fry or risk losing her. Good luck.

Just went back in to check on her - she died. She must have had some pre-existing sickness or something. Looking more closely at her, she did not seem like she was ready to give birth.

Back
Top Bottom