Black Fin Tetra Bump on body

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobDeanH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a black fin tetra and it's the only one that seems to have a big belly I just discovered today it has a bump on him. It might be from the black molly nipping at them. The bump is on both sides of him. Also just a couple days ago I added aquarium salt. Today I did a 50% water change. I have attatched pictures. By the way the tank is crystal clear only looks dirt because I don't clean the back glass and theres black wallpaper behind it.

Attachments

• IMG_2593.jpg
    IMG_2593.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2596.jpg
    IMG_2596.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2598.jpg
    IMG_2598.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 101
Fish cancer?
Lymphocistis?
Something to that nature, viral, not contagious, nothing to worry about.

Thanks. Also the black molly always seems to bully the black skirt tetras. I don't know what I should do with him since I don't have another tank to put him in.

So that bump disappeared but where it was it turned into a hole and a couple days later that hole completely went to the end of his fin. So now it's like he has double back fins. Will melafix help heal?

A hole? :what:
That doesn't sound very good at all...can you get an updated pic? May be best just to euthanize at this point....but a pic would help. Is it still eating and otherwise behaving normally..?

Eating fine and acting nornal sonetines hiding but he will school. I will post a picture tomorrow. I wont be home till them.

Here is an updated picture. It looks like it's spreading more to the body. Should I use aquarium salt or something? I have african dwarf frogs in there. Is salt bad for them?

I can't see a hole from the pic, but you might want to QT it just in case.... Also, looks like a ton of gunk on your filter. Is that normal? :what:

Look at the back fin. It was a big single fin but the whole split it in two. Yes my filter is a hob and the actual filter media goes everywhere since I have sand. I'm going to buy an Aquaclear 70 in a couple weeks

Oh okay, I see it now... Def doesn't look good ?
I'd also def qt. Could be something bad like columnaris. I've read about that causing holes like that in fish. Could be several other things too though...

I dont' have another tank to QT. I have a betta tank and a newt tank. Betta tank too hot and newt tank too cold

I honestly don't know. Was hoping someone else would chime in that has more experience. I've only been back in the hobby a year and have never used medications other than anti-parasite food.

As far as I know, to medicate you need to know if it's bacterial, fungal, or parasitic. The hole could have started from another fish biting it, then it could have become infected, which I believe usually starts with bacteria but can develop fungus if left untreated. Or it could have started from a parasite and then became infected. I'm not sure what it could be or how you would treat it. You may need to treat a few different things at this point, but some things you can't treat together or the medications could react to each other.

This is only IMO and I cannot say whether or not any is fact.

You say you don't have a QT tank, but do you have an empty bucket perhaps? That could work. Just add an airstone, heater, and sponge filter and change a significant amount of water each day. Sponge filters are easy and cheap to make for such a small amount of water and most pet stores sell small, cheap heaters. If none of your other fish have been affected after this long, it probably isn't a parasite but instead started as an injury. If other fish are showing any symptoms of illness, it may be a parasite and you'd want to treat the entire tank and wouldn't necessarily need to QT the one fish.

Do some research online to see if it looks like a bacterial or fungal infection. Sorry I can't be of much help.

I would also QT into a bucket with air pump if you can. I don't know with the frogs and salt but since it sounded like it is spreading you may need stronger meds / higher salt dosing rather than just an aid to cure. I've bumped off apparently healthy fish using full-strength meds to treat in tank so have a dedicated QT setup now.

Generally I've seen this occur on one fish only. The cause could be viral, bacterial pimple or some single-cell parasite - never been really sure. The lump explodes and fish seems to make a fine recovery. The risk is if bacterial or maybe fungal secondary infection occurs. If it is eating into the skin I'd go for bacterial.

Extra water changes will always help to freshen water and keep organic debris off the wound. Temp match water change.

I've always thought of Melafix as a preventative and salt ranging from a preventative to med depending on dose rate.

IMO I'd continue the salt dosing in QT. If no improvement I'd try a half dose of Melafix on say the second night after salt dosing. This would allow the fish to adjust to the salt first. Definitely do not overdose the Melafix. Some previous reading and own experience suggests a light dose vs standard dose will do the same but over dosing (easy to do in small tanks) is pretty risky for fish. Some thoughts anyways.

If it continues to spread, I'd pick up furan 2 (antibacterial) or get tetra fungus guard (which has furan 2 but also has a med for fungus).

Back
Top Bottom