Black Ghost Knife fish with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tainum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I have a black ghost fish with what appears to be a spot of ich. I have 6 ember Tetras and a lemon blue eye pleco. Pleco seems uneffected, but there is a tetra with 3 spots and another with 1. Salt seems highly dangerous with the BGK as well as most medication. I've began to raise the heat to 86, it is currently 81, will increase to 82-83 tomorrow and will gravel vac the following day. water parameters are 0 Ammonia, PH 7.2, nitrates are 15, Nitrite is less than 1ppm. Substrate is fine sand, couple pieces of drift wood and 4-5 plants. Currently in a 30 gallon which is fine for the BGK as it is only 2 inches, it's very young. Anyone have any advice that HAS treated BGK or any other scaleless fish? I've treated ich successfully in other tanks with guppies, goldfish, shrimp, etc. This isnt my first "rodeo" in tre

In treating fish nor keeping fish, been doing it and researching it for many years. However, it is first time keeping a sensitive fish like this. Not looking for criticism or anything like that, that's why I left fishlore.com in the first place lol. Any advise or suggestions is welcome. Some evidence would be appreciated.

I'm assuming the regular two week heat treatment is recommended as well for scaleless fish? Is changing water every other day okay or would you have a different approach?

Minimum of 10 days I think. In theory I’ve read only 3 or 4 days but I had one (white) spot that was there over a week at high temperature. I find first few days is hard on fish and extra aeration helps while they adjust, after that more fine. I’ve had tanks go quite high in temperature while away on holidays and they’ve been ok.

Minimum of 10 days I think. In theory I’ve read only 3 or 4 days but I had one (white) spot that was there over a week at high temperature. I find first few days is hard on fish and extra aeration helps while they adjust, after that more fine. I’ve had tanks go quite high in temperature while away on holidays and they’ve been ok.

The tank is currently going between 86-87 and the ghost is seeming to do fine. All white spots on all fish so far have disappeared and all of them are eating and swimming around normally. I always run sponge filters in my tanks with decent aeration, I've since turned it up as well to use with the extra heat that they aren't used to. No signs of them going/staying at the surface. Everything seems to be working just fine so far.

Sounds great - I do think the heat method works best when started early.

Just watch for secondary bacterial infections from the heat change.

Sounds great - I do think the heat method works best when started early.

Just watch for secondary bacterial infections from the heat change.

Infections cause from the wounds from the ich? Ive never had an infection occur after treating ich, but I'm assuming some common signs would be like pink area, or like a hair like bacteria growing on spots of the fish? Any advise or things to look for?

Back
Top Bottom